Sent to me by a fellow patriot...

Old 03-14-2012, 04:51 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Default Sent to me by a fellow patriot...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...023932438.html
Old 03-15-2012, 02:46 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

i dont wanr green. i want my gas and oil!!! i knew the gov. was the reason my gasoline is so damn high. and here is a guy who can help get down but nooooo.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:37 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

It's not really that simple . . There's several reason why Gasoline is so damned high . . some of which has to do with the present administration, some having to do with free enterprise, and some having to do with the consumers themselves . .

First, there's the "WORLD MARKET" which, more or less sets the overall need or demand for Gasoline or any other commodity. Looking at that, basically, if gasoline in Bumfuck, Egypt is selling for $10.00 a gallon, most refiners are going to want to sell to retailers in that area, no matter where the oil came from, or where it was refined. And if all the refined product is going to Bumfuck, it drives up the price in Craphouse, Texas . .

Then . . Being a commodity, it's also bought and sold as a valuable . . on the futures market, again, worldwide . . and the traders are a panic stricken bunch of chicken littles, usually trading on the margins or credit. If an Arab farts in Bahrain, the price goes up again in Craphouse . . . Because, the wholesaler in Craphouse is going to have to replenish his stock of gasoline with a higher priced product.

And on to the consumer, who, when he isn't getting himself screwed by gas prices, politicians and speculators, screws himself by his choice of vehicles he will spend most of his time in . . How about the guy who lives in Flungdung, Louisana, who buys himself a full size Tahoe 4WD to drive to work everyday? Granted, that's his perogative, but wotta waste . . he doesn't really need a 4WD to commute. There's no freakin' snow in LA. And that's just one example . .

And the politicians. Yes, the F--king Politicians. All of them! Like the Economy, which all of them have had a hand is screwing up by borrowing more than the entire population of the planet can pay back in the next 100 years, their energy policies, for 50 years, have sucked. Too many Progressive Environmentalists have influenced (again with bad science) government regulations, and the politicians have let the bureaucracy run amok, charging the taxpayer and consumers for their environmental experiments . . most of which were based on flawed science and bad ideas . .

Then, again, with the Politicians, there's the "Tell them only what they want to hear" energy Policy. Take the Keystone XL Pipe line project. It's been a political football. The head @sshole won't approve it because of "Environmental Considerations" and his Leftist base. The Republicans are screaming to high heaven about the "Lost Jobs" and how much the completion will lower the price of gasoline . . Neither side is telling you how it really is . .

Canada wants to sell it's oil from the Tar Sands to the world, not just Central USA . . Which is why, today, in the middle of the country, (Flyover Land) gasoline prices are cheaper than the Coasts and periphial USA. And . . Canada will not, no matter how loudly they proclaim otherwise, build a pipe line across the Rockies to Vancouver, where they will, as the Prime Minister threatened, "Sell their oil to China" . . Their own Environmental Impact Statement decreed that they won't. That being said, once the Keystone XL Pipeline is built, the refinerie(s) that it feeds on the Gulf Coast will be in a tax free "Enterprise Zone, and the refined products from those refineries will be sold on the world markets, and because of the enterprise Zones, Canada won't pay a damned dime in taxes to the US . . And gasoline (and diesel) prices will be just as high (because of the above) as they are now . . And . . they will still be "Selling their oil to China"!

I'll get off my soap box now and somebody else can have it . .
Old 03-17-2012, 07:40 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

well roadkill, i agree with almost all you say. except about the guy who drives the 4x4. i drive only cars made before 1970.i have a few. none gets better than 12 miles to the gallon. i drive just them for many reasons.i do have a 99 tahoe that sucks gas but i just dont like it and gas milage isnt the reason.i prefer large cars and trucks. i feel like im in a can when i get in my wifes 08 300.thou i do like the hemi, i dont like the feeling of being squeezed.in my 62 galaxie i can fit 3 in the front and can drive and still feel like i have room.i can also work on these old girls without having to drag out all the equipment.speculaters and the government are why the gas is like it is. and we still export oil and gas!!i would tell these sand dwellers to eat their oil and see if that fills them up.and it is easy to get the price back where it was say 10 yrs ago.but it is too damn political.take the gov. out and it will drop over time.man just drop the tax and see where it goes.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:45 PM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

My point was made, based upon your post. Not being a wiseass, but we all do as we damned please, within our amounts of disposable income, of course.

But, I don't cruise my 14 mpg Blown Smallblock powered '34 to the grocery store or or the mall . . Simply for preservation of the ride . . and 85 octane in my little Dakota is a hell of a lot cheaper than 91 octane in the Hot Rod . . And goes a lot farther (Further?)

And, unless we nuke most of the Middle and Far East, eliminating 99% of the population there, and thus the demand for gasoline for their cars, gasoline prices won't ever level to the prices we used to see in the '50's or even '70's.

However, some of the EPA mandates requiring special blends of gasoline for seasons and specific metro areas continue to make refiners want to sell all their output to foriegn retailers because anyplace else in the world will buy 70 octane, 2% MTBE, 15% ethanol (From Brazil) is legal. Not so much here . . Thus, the WORLD MARKET!

Just one of the many things that make gasoline prices high . .
Old 03-19-2012, 06:07 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

At the risk of being slightly redundant, here's a post I wrote from another forum I participate in, and while it's OK in my book to blame O'Blamer for just about all of it, He's just the latest in a line of screw-ups . . Here's a little more detail on what I wrote above . .

On the price of gasoline at the pump . . Any singular explanation isn't close to correct . . We certainly can blame the Obama administration for a share of the problem, but if we're to blame Political agendas, we must blame all or nearly all the Administrations and Congresses that have directed Energy policy for the last 40-50 years . . Perhaps even back into the 1920's . . The Energy policies, especially when dealing with oil, have corrupted nearly as many congresses as have occupied both houses and the administrations who occupied the White House.

And saying that, it makes revision of any energy policy advocated or mandated by the Federal government a waste of time, because quite like the economic policies of Congress, it cannot undergo "Revision" but complete replacement with a model that completely levels the playing field for all types of energy output in a completely competitive setting. Perhaps even requiring the Federal government to get out of the Real estate business by either liquidating most "Federal lands" to public ownership or making the states responsible for their administration, thus allowing the states to become the recipient of any taxes and employment gained by their direct administration. This would take away most, if not all subsidies any of those energy companies might have that causes imbalance in the playing fields . . Thus, Oil and Coal would compete directly with wind and nuclear . . and without bureaucrats directing subsidies to their choice of players, the competition, even worldwide, would tend to bring both cost and retail prices down . .

You have speculation of a commodity which is affected by traders resembling a collection of "Chicken Littles' who panic when an Arab Farts. According to both Forbes and Bloomberg, the cost of speculation on the world oil markets (Futures and hedge funds) is an estimated $25 to $30 dollars per barrel of oil. And, according to many of the experts, including those formerly mentioned, only about 30% of a bid is required to be in cash to speculate. It has been posited that if speculators (Or traders, call 'em what you will) had to put up 50% cash or more of their bids on Oil (or any other commodity) it would drive the cost of Oil by the barrel down by 25 to 30% overnight. And betting on the rise and fall of a commodity price (Hedge Funds) should either be taxed to the extent that it would be unpopular, or specifically outlawed.

You also have a federal bureaucracy (EPA) who makes their own rules and regulates often in secret . . Mandating different fuel compounds and different levels of oxygenation in different areas) and different times) of the country. This puts a lot of mystery into the cost of Gasoline production in the country as well as making any refiner wanting to export all of his product. He can make 70 octane base formula, add 2% MTBE (Mostly Illegal in the US), and 15% ethanol (from Brazil), have a 85 octane fuel that he can put on a boat and sell for almost as much anyplace else in the world, as a gallon of 87 Octane would sell for at the corner of Prairie and Northern, USA.

Another thing about all this is, 15 years ago gasoline was about 60% of the products gained from a barrel of sweet crude, the rest being made into diesel, plastics and paint thinners . . Today, a modern refinery will get raw gasoline base from 95% of a barrel of cheap oil . . there's little by product, so any of those materials (This is why Diesel is $3.80 a gallon and doesn't change much) come from another barrel of oil . . Thus, no "By Products" . . So parts cleaner and Spray Gun Wash is about $12-$15 a gallon and other oil based products are correspondingly more expensive . . .

The consumer is also at fault to a degree. While it's freedom of choice, a lot of people in Louisana, South Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia and Florida buy GM Tahoes and other equivilent size 4WD vehicles and commute long distances in them . . Makes one wonder why they need a four wheel drive gas hog when they don't ever see snow or get off the pavement . . I don't have an axe to grind with 4WDs, AWDs or big pickups, but our choices are part of the problem . . . and the above was just an example . .

I could go on, but all of you get the idea . . so I won't . .