Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumper Cams

Member JUNIOR BUILDER

Thumper Cams

Anyone ever used a Thumper Cam? Do they really sound like a much bigger cam yet remain street friendly? I was thinking about installing one in my 39 Olds Street rod with a Stock 350 Chevy. Any feed back is appreciated.

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    they sound great but were built for sound and not power if your looking for sound go for it if it's power your after go a different route
    J.M.O -logan

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar

Yeah, combine a Thumper with a gear drive timing set and you'll REALLY have 'em all fooled !
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898

Member JUNIOR BUILDER

Thumper Cam

Thanks for the replys. The sound is really want I want since this Street Rod will be doing a little traveling. If only I could mount a fake blower on it.

[email protected]#k the thumprs

Stay away from any thumpr I used mine for only 1400 miles swiped 6 lobes flat.
    Donn't gofor sound go for the power and torque forget about the idle its a bonus. Sent the cam back to comp and told them to take it back to China.
    Not only myself 6 customers can vouch for that. What are your goals and the specs on your motor how radical do you want to go and what rpm range and stall?

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    I've never used one. I only know one guy that did. It did sound absolutely awesome. And he said power was up from his stock cam. He was afraid of bottom end power loss and he claimed there was no problems. Just my two cents.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

Member JUNIOR BUILDER

Re: [email protected]#k the thumprs

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaf100
    Stay away from any thumpr I used mine for only 1400 miles swiped 6 lobes flat.
    Donn't gofor sound go for the power and torque forget about the idle its a bonus. Sent the cam back to comp and told them to take it back to China.
    Not only myself 6 customers can vouch for that. What are your goals and the specs on your motor how radical do you want to go and what rpm range and stall?
    The engine is a stock 350 ci Chevy with a T-350 trans. Mostly this car will be doing Car shows and cruises within a 200 mile radius. I just want a reliable cruiser with just a little grunt to it.

Greyhound gears and a smooth engine if you're going to drive the damned thing farther than your local Sonic . . at freeway speeds . .

As for the "Fake Blower", just more crap hanging off the accessory drive you'll need to fix somewhere 100 miles from where you want to be . .

IF . . You're gonna cruise or drive a street rod very far frequently, keep it as simple as your talent and ability to make it work. Hot Rods and Street Rods are two different things . . .

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill2
    Greyhound gears and a smooth engine if you're going to drive the damned thing farther than your local Sonic . . at freeway speeds . .

As for the "Fake Blower", just more crap hanging off the accessory drive you'll need to fix somewhere 100 miles from where you want to be . .

IF . . You're gonna cruise or drive a street rod very far frequently, keep it as simple as your talent and ability to make it work. Hot Rods and Street Rods are two different things . . .
    yes sir.... well said

just put a lunati cam in it and you will be happy. i had a 82 camaro z28 with a 355ci motor/stock bottom/ lunati cam with stock alum heads off an 85 corvette and a rock crusher tranny and 411 gears.... that car would stay side ways more then it was straight and it had great sound going down the road at low speed and sound mean on the gas hard
    GOOD PARTS AREN'T CHEAP AND CHEAP PARTS ARE NEVER GOOD.........
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lastscan-3.jpg

Do you have aftermarket valve springs or stock springs? Do you have screw in studs or roll pins or neither? I've got a couple of good gringds that will make you happy but it depends on your valvetrain. I agree very much with the other poster Lunati makes great products.