Scam question

Old 02-26-2012, 05:38 AM
Petey738
SHOW GUEST

Default Scam question

I am trying to sell my car and have talked to this guy on the phone. In a email he asked me to send him a copy of the Title of the car, copy of my dl, and current electric or cell phone bill? Has anyone else had this done to them?
Old 02-26-2012, 05:53 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

NO WAY IN HELL WOULD I SEND HIM THAT INFO.
TELL HIM TO SEND YOU CASH OR MOVE ON TO THE NEXT BUYER!!!!!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:00 AM
Petey738
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by TheRabbit
NO WAY IN HELL WOULD I SEND HIM THAT INFO.
TELL HIM TO SEND YOU CASH OR MOVE ON TO THE NEXT BUYER!!!!!
Yep, thats what I was thinking! Thanks for the reponse and the info. His email/username is stillslowcuda68.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:13 AM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Scam

Call him back and ask him for a $500 deposit within 1 week sent in the form of a UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE money order to hold the car till he comes to look at it within 2 weeks. Tell him you will show him what ever he wants to see in person or refund the deposit. Then the balls in his court. If he doesn't trust you enough to do that, then he wouldn't buy the car anyway.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:26 AM
Petey738
SHOW GUEST

Default Re: Scam

Originally Posted by markdunlap
Call him back and ask him for a $500 deposit within 1 week sent in the form of a UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE money order to hold the car till he comes to look at it within 2 weeks. Tell him you will show him what ever he wants to see in person or refund the deposit. Then the balls in his court. If he doesn't trust you enough to do that, then he wouldn't buy the car anyway.
I sent him a email telling him to come here and buy the car in person. I'm driving 6 hours next week to pick up a new car. I would never buy a car without looking at it first.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:33 AM
grimratter
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Re: Scam question

Originally Posted by Petey738
I am trying to sell my car and have talked to this guy on the phone. In a email he asked me to send him a copy of the Title of the car, copy of my dl, and current electric or cell phone bill? Has anyone else had this done to them?
Wow :!: That guy is pretty bold, asking for all of that personal information. He's just buying your car, not financing your house. I have bought and sold quite a few cars in my life, and never needed that much info. Maybe a VIN from the car, but no personal info.
I'd say he's a scammer looking to do some identity theft :!:
Old 02-26-2012, 06:48 AM
ghustler
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: Scam question

Originally Posted by Petey738
I think you should be asking him for that info, not the other way around.
The next thing is he will tell you he going on vacation and will send the money and have his associate pick it up.

In the last few years I have went thru 4 or 5 cars a year and cash is king.
Cash at pick up, thats it my way or the highway because at the end of the day you either still have your car or you have cash but your not empty handed.
Im not meeting a person to get personal info or become friends or have a beer with, im buying or selling a car and sometimes 10 words aren't exchanged in the whole face to face transaction.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:53 AM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

I agree don't send anything without a deposit :!: :!:

Mark
Old 02-26-2012, 08:07 AM
manley
JUNIOR BUILDER

he is a flake! ive delt with 100's of people on here, scammers, bullshitters, dreamers or buyers! he is one of the first 3!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Petey738
SHOW GUEST

Appreciate all the info. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -