coilover shocks

Old 02-25-2012, 04:44 AM
qiksix
CRAFTSMAN

Default coilover shocks

Just got home from the track with a mates car. He has strange single adjustable shocks on the rear, we tried some adjustments and 60 fts dropped from 1.58 to low 1.7s aswell as ets. Do strange shocks adjust comp. and recoil or just recoil, searching the net i noticed qa1s adjust both simutanously but strange only tell me about recoil adjustments. Should we go back to the sweet spot or try new shocks.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:04 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

I'm pretty sure they adjust both just like the QA1's.

I wouldn't spend the money to buy a different brand of single adjustable's. I'd spend the extra and go to dbl adjustable's
If the rules allow it.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:44 AM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default coilovers

I have both Strange and QA1 double adjustables. 3000# backhalf BBC car.

I like the Strange better, plus they rebuild their own shocks and struts. QA1 do not rebuild their own at their factory. They will refer you to one of their dealers. When I talked to QA1 at the NMCA race at Indy this year, they said it was too expensive to their customers to do their own rebuilds. It cost $150+ for them to do it and customers complained that was too high.

Double adjustable gives you more tuning options. If you can sell the sinlge adjustables and get doubles, I would do it. If you can't get rid of them, just find the quickest consistant 60' that doesn't get you in trouble at the big end.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:17 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

On strange single adjustable shocks, you are only changing the rebound or extension of the shocks dampening forces. The bump or compression is suppose to be constant.
Bruce
Old 02-25-2012, 05:27 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by TopspeedLowet
On strange single adjustable shocks, you are only changing the rebound or extension of the shocks dampening forces. The bump or compression is suppose to be constant.
Bruce
That's good to know. I have a friend that also would be fine with singles if that's correct.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:40 AM
qiksix
CRAFTSMAN

Thanks guys just what we wanted to know. So i'm guessing rebound is more important than compression seeing that strange and others only offers oneway adjustments. I'll see if he wants to spend more dollars for doubles or stick with what he's got. Is there anywhere i can readup on this stuff for beginners , i haven't had much to do with suspension setups.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:20 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Here it is 101 racing help.

http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/i...A_Drag_Car.htm
Old 02-26-2012, 03:53 PM
coolracing
MASTER BUILDER

Good link Rabbit!
Old 02-26-2012, 04:25 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

It really is a good one. No matter what level you race there is something there for you! A friend showed it to me a few years ago.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:43 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default coilovers

Have you talked to Strange Engineering? They have good tech guys. Ask for Mr Ed. He will put you to the right guy.