Of naughty hoods and sneaky rust....

Old 02-15-2012, 09:31 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Default Of naughty hoods and sneaky rust....

Lets see if I can remember how to post pics....

Cautionary tale! Always pin your own hood...always...period!

Pictured here is my girlfriend who SAYS she is not smiling at my bad fortune. What do you guys think?

0430102212a by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

When things happen at 100+ mph they happen fast. The hood was flat black and this happened right at the stripe at night. I NEVER saw the hood fly up. It doubled so far back that I couldn't see it at first,it wasnt this far down the windshield until half way down the return road. All i heard was a super loud BANG then my eyes were full of crud. Surface rust from the underside of the roof. I forced my eyes to stay open until i could get stopped. I still had no idea what the sound was or what had happened. I just mashed the kill switch when I heard it. I thought the motor had blew on me. Once I saw what it was I was so happy that it wasn't the motor that I didn't even care about the sheet metal. Everyone was surprised how well I took it. It looked so funny I couldn't help but to laugh! But I did get upset when I found out it snapped the wing off of my hood ornament :cry:

0430102217a by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

Found a new hood local. I still gotta go back and the PERFECT grill outta that car. Ah,beautiful... :roll:

0813111616a by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
Old 02-15-2012, 09:40 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Sneaky rust. Looks like a nice straight black car,huh? Nope. Bondo sculpting at its best. The Pimpala is currently under the knife. And it's soon to be spring. Nice

SANY0023 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

SANY0061 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

SANY0056 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

SANY0057 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

The emblems are actually off the car. There is just so much gravel dust built up is pitiful.

SANY0058 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
Old 02-16-2012, 07:11 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

More rust! WooHoo!

PART_1329372685839 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

This piece of metal did not need any cutting to remove it. Once I ground all the putty out it just fell in the floor :lol:

PART_1329372627899 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr
Old 02-17-2012, 07:36 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

GREAT PROJECTS !
Ya have some real panel straightening to do on that roof from the hood blowover ! OOPS..........
Old 02-17-2012, 08:11 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

At least none of that hood came through the windshield! :shock:

Loving the Impala, we were looking for a 65-67 but just could never find one I liked then the Camaro fell into my lap.
What does the Impala have for drivetrain?

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 02-17-2012, 06:56 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Actually it did crack the windshield,but I'm still cruising it ops: The Pimpala has a Fastburn engine and a Richmond 4 speed and ( I love this part) an open 12 bolt with 2.73's. Rock 'n' roll baby! LOL. I threw all that in there along with an aftermarket a/c kit and it gets phenomenal fuel mileage. On the open road with the a/c blasting I regularly get upper teens,but on a few occasions I have gotten a best of 22-23 mpg! 385hp in a 4200 lb barge!Love that car. Love those gears. 2,2200 rpm at 70 mph with no overdrive. Oh, the speedo only goes to 120...it'll do that in third at a little over 5k rpm :lol: I'd love to get that hulk of lead out on the salt.

BTW-THANK YOU so much for the heads up on the peel and stick. i got the headliner out now. Awesome tip,man!
Old 02-18-2012, 05:47 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Drivers side rear fender opening. This had bubbled the paint up pretty bad and was the reason for a repaint in the first place.Not a surprise

PART_1329619081860 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr

This was a surprise. Apparently the car has been hit on the pass. side pretty hard. The quarter has been replaced on this side,there is about 15 holes in the door jamb where they pulled it back out and the door had been replaced with one off of a blue car :shock: Didn't see that one coming. The panel fitment on this car was very good. It's very strange.You can easily tell the pass. side quarter and door are not original,but when you strip the layers off of the quarter they match the rest of the car perfectly. Some for the paint on the door,even though looking from the inside you can tell it came off of a blue car. It almost looks like it may have been damaged in shipping and repaired when new.???Who knows.All of the car has the same paint layers:black,primer,black,primer red(factory),primer and then sheetmetal.BUT,the title says it is supposed to be white and when I pulled the heater box off to install the a/c unit the firewall was white underneath.But everywhere else is red.I don't get it.Some of the black topcoat on the car now is single stage and some of it is base/clear.This is the biggest mutt of a paint job you will ever see.But it looked good! I was getting thumbs up's on the way to drop it off at the body shop

PART_1329619129550 by Shiny Ribs, on Flickr :lol:
Old 02-19-2012, 07:22 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Since didn't get hurt we can laugh about it.

Ouch. That sucks. Do the manly thing. BLAME IT ON HER! LOL
They usually don't make it that far before they come up. At least you made it to the finish line under wot. Did you win? lol

Remember, the man with the best stories at the end WINS! lol
Old 02-19-2012, 07:42 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

:lol: :lol: No, I didn't win. It was just a Friday nite test n tune. ops: It was quite the spectacle when it happened.Drew quite the crowd :shock: Lots of picture phones came out when that happened :lol: