th350 kickdown plug

Old 02-01-2012, 03:35 PM
rhino058
APPRENTICE

Default th350 kickdown plug

i had the kickdown cable removed when it was rebuilt and totally forgot to plug it out of the car. Now since im trying to fill it it just pours fluid out the front not thinking much i plugged it with jb weld and a stubby bolt, probably not a great idea but anyone else tried it im going to let it set up and see tomorrow but a fair warning if i faild would be great just want to hear if anyone else has done that. I'd have to imagine it will hold ive used jb to hold alot of things
Old 02-01-2012, 07:16 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Unless you super cleaned the surface, 100% oil free, that the JB is supposed to bond to, it will not last. Can be a tough lesson to learn. We are ALL 'victims' of our own negligence. Some of us(me) multiple times. And some of them drew blood.......
Old 02-02-2012, 03:08 AM
rhino058
APPRENTICE

Laright yea i cleaned the h*** out of the area with a super degreaser i paint for a living so thinners are around(Metheyl ethyl ketone- works miracles) so its incrediably clean my question would be the pressure but on it i wasnt sure what kind of internal pressure the tranny would build up and if the jb would hold up to that and info is great
Old 02-02-2012, 05:16 AM
coolracing
MASTER BUILDER

How did you rough the surface up? that area of the trans is usually smooth.You can clean that aluminum with every cleaner in the world, but if the material your trying to bond it to is not etched properly it wont hold. And on another note I have noticed with jb weld on a aluminum surface that is in a high heat enviroment the two materials expand and retract at different rates which results in the jb bandaid seperating or cracking. My advice to you is peel it back off and fab a plug in it, chances are you will be doing it later. I only use that stuff for extreme last case problems! IMO