Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heared of a 288 cid chevy (destroked 350)

Anyone heared of a 288 cid chevy (destroked 350)

i just got a new ride that is suppose to have a destroked 350 (288 cid)

have u guys ever heard of a 288 destroked motor ?

if so its a 350 block what crank ?

thanks for your time & help

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    If it is a 350 blk. it would be 2.875 crank, but 289 CI. But if it's a 283 BLK with a .030 over bore and a 3.00 (std 283 crank) it would be a 288 CI

Zip.

the block numbers are 3970010 i think that comes up all of them, the numbers on the front are gone, thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by janetpullen
    the block numbers are 3970010 i think that comes up all of them, the numbers on the front are gone, thanks for your help
    well 70010 is a 350 block. i didnt think the 283 crank would fit in the 350 block :?
    GOOD PARTS AREN'T CHEAP AND CHEAP PARTS ARE NEVER GOOD.........
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lastscan-3.jpg

Yep i agree with fast75vega, it's a run of the mill 350 blk and a 283 crank would not fit ( 3.00 VS 3.450 main jurnals) so if it's a 288/289 CI it would have to ba an after market crankshaft or it's not going to be a 288" motor.

JMO

Zip.

he said it had a manley crank & rods, i just never heard of a 288 ? didnt know what the bore & stroke would be ?

also didnt know if they was suppose to be power houses or not ?

thanks for your help guys

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE curtisreed's Avatar
    Don't know why you would do it unless you where running a pounds per cubic inch deal. Powerhouse would depend on your point of view. Rev those little motors to the moon and they will make some power, try to lug them like a 408 and that is a different story.

JMO

Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by doorracer
    Don't know why you would do it unless you where running a pounds per cubic inch deal. Powerhouse would depend on your point of view. Rev those little motors to the moon and they will make some power, try to lug them like a 408 and that is a different story.

JMO

Curtis
    thats what i was thinking too...... :wink:
    GOOD PARTS AREN'T CHEAP AND CHEAP PARTS ARE NEVER GOOD.........
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lastscan-3.jpg

I had a friend when i lived in PHX, in the late 80's that had a 292" Nickens and Brown motor in a Gen 3 X prostock car that would run 8.80's @ 162MPH, with a Lenco. But he came out of the hole peddle to the metal about 10,500 RPM's, it was an amazing car but it killed valve spring after about 50 passes. I have vids of the car if anyone would be intrested.

Zip.

ya, i was just told they are high reving motors, i know this will turn 8000 with no prob, i guess thats why they destroke them ????