BEWARE >> Mike Weinle

Old 01-09-2012, 07:03 PM
bsdracer
SHOW GUEST

Default BEWARE >> Mike Weinle

I just wanted to explain the very bad situation I went through with Mike Weinle.

I bought a pair of Profiler 12 Degree Hitman heads.. he was advertising them for a good price. I contacted him.. ordered them and after he suggested I also agreed to put in used titanium valves. Shortly there after but before I got it -- we worked out a barter deal for some web work (thats what I do) in exchange for Mike's PROMOD port job.. I agreed.. to the tune of $1800 barter.

I get the heads.. the second they were out of the box my engine guy is not happy. Seems Mike did some of the valve seats in beryllium while others were iron... first thing. Next he put in tulip valves on the exhaust. Second thing the ends of the heads were severely bitched up... like they were used. Third thing ... none of the valve seats were installed at the same height.. the machinist I took them to said it looked like a 8 year old did it --- and that most of the valves didn't even contact the whole seat all the way around. So I paid to have that done.

I put the motor together and it runs very poorly.. 632 w/dual carbs.

It burnt up several pistons.. so I have to pulled it apart after less than 40 passes. Take it to another machine shop close to my job.. told them to verify everything on the heads. Well it seems Mr.Weinle put in the wrong sized valves. Intake stems were .300 too long --- Exhaust .300 too short so this explained why the exhaust valves were so deep into the head.

The final blow which really threw me over the edge.. was now over winter I thought I would have the heads flowed to find out why the power wasn't there. I take them to Dennis Wheets Jr. -- right out the box he measures the intake side and compares it to the valve hole.. and says "You have a inverse taper" -- he asks me who ported it and I tell him Mike Weinle... he says "Oh.." We he tests them anyway and they flow a terrible 430 @ .800 -- ProFiler stats they flow 496 out of the box..

Dennis felt so bad for me.. that these huge spread port heads flowed so badly he didn't even charge me. He had nothing in it.. he is a stand up guy and very knowledgeable.

Mike Wienle's port job was so bad.. I LOST air flow.

Oh right ... Mike Weinle also put in 2.5 intakes over 2.4 recommended by Profiler... and 1.90 exhaust. My guess he told what ever junk he had laying around and threw them in.

The head have been shipped to Steve Schmidt to see if they can be reworked to work... at least to what they were from ProFiler.

This was my terrible ordeal with Mike Weinle. Mike Weinle stated the whole time that everyone I was talking to were f.....g idiots.

During this whole thing - I have talked to several people in the industry and they ALL had the same thing to say about Mike Weinle.

So buyers beware of Mike Weinle.

Feel free to email me about any of this >> [email protected]
Old 01-10-2012, 07:20 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: BEWARE >> Mike Weinle

Originally Posted by bsdracer
I just wanted to explain the very bad situation I went through with Mike Weinle.

I bought a pair of Profiler 12 Degree Hitman heads.. he was advertising them for a good price. I contacted him.. ordered them and after he suggested I also agreed to put in used titanium valves. Shortly there after but before I got it -- we worked out a barter deal for some web work (thats what I do) in exchange for Mike's PROMOD port job.. I agreed.. to the tune of $1800 barter.

I get the heads.. the second they were out of the box my engine guy is not happy. Seems Mike did some of the valve seats in beryllium while others were iron... first thing. Next he put in tulip valves on the exhaust. Second thing the ends of the heads were severely bitched up... like they were used. Third thing ... none of the valve seats were installed at the same height.. the machinist I took them to said it looked like a 8 year old did it --- and that most of the valves didn't even contact the whole seat all the way around. So I paid to have that done.

I put the motor together and it runs very poorly.. 632 w/dual carbs.

It burnt up several pistons.. so I have to pulled it apart after less than 40 passes. Take it to another machine shop close to my job.. told them to verify everything on the heads. Well it seems Mr.Weinle put in the wrong sized valves. Intake stems were .300 too long --- Exhaust .300 too short so this explained why the exhaust valves were so deep into the head.

The final blow which really threw me over the edge.. was now over winter I thought I would have the heads flowed to find out why the power wasn't there. I take them to Dennis Wheets Jr. -- right out the box he measures the intake side and compares it to the valve hole.. and says "You have a inverse taper" -- he asks me who ported it and I tell him Mike Weinle... he says "Oh.." We he tests them anyway and they flow a terrible 430 @ .800 -- ProFiler stats they flow 496 out of the box..

Dennis felt so bad for me.. that these huge spread port heads flowed so badly he didn't even charge me. He had nothing in it.. he is a stand up guy and very knowledgeable.

Mike Wienle's port job was so bad.. I LOST air flow.

Oh right ... Mike Weinle also put in 2.5 intakes over 2.4 recommended by Profiler... and 1.90 exhaust. My guess he told what ever junk he had laying around and threw them in.

The head have been shipped to Steve Schmidt to see if they can be reworked to work... at least to what they were from ProFiler.

This was my terrible ordeal with Mike Weinle. Mike Weinle stated the whole time that everyone I was talking to were f.....g idiots.

During this whole thing - I have talked to several people in the industry and they ALL had the same thing to say about Mike Weinle.

So buyers beware of Mike Weinle.

Feel free to email me about any of this >> [email protected]
The head have been shipped to Steve Schmidt
That'll cost you a small fortune.

I talked to Mike several years ago about a 500" motor, but I went a different route. He's had an add on RJ for a long time and this is the first complaint I remember about him. It gets harder and harder to use even the top name engine builders anymore. Let us know what Shcmidt says about the heads and also what Mike says after you discuss it with him.
There are two sides to every story and I'd like to hear his.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:59 PM
bsdracer
SHOW GUEST

Hey Rabbit..

There really isn't much to the other side of the story.. Mike says the heads were perfect and who ever I took them to were idiots.. He refused to do anything - claiming his work was perfect.

He told me -- "Jason just put them on you will make power" -- well Mike Weinle they didn't. Remember too I dyno'd it twice by two different shops.

and BTW, I took it to 4 people.. and talked to several more before sending them to Schmidt.

Schmidt wasn't surprised - in fact, the sales guy told me it wasn't the first set they had to repair that came from Mike Weinle. The only good that made me feel was that I wasn't the only one duped by this guy.

It is costing a small fortune.. but they are saying they will be as good as any set they sell. They need to weld back in material in order then to C&C them. They told me it looked like someone just took a cutter into the bowl... and then didn't do anything else. Told me the valves were wrong in size in several aspects.. the length - circumference - margin.. Even the guide liners need to be replaced.

The result will be seen.. good or bad. As soon as it gets put back together I have time scheduled again at the dyno to see what the difference is.. Dennis Wheets Jr. also is going to flow them first before they go on the motor.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:58 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bsdracer
Hey Rabbit..

There really isn't much to the other side of the story.. Mike says the heads were perfect and who ever I took them to were idiots.. He refused to do anything - claiming his work was perfect.

He told me -- "Jason just put them on you will make power" -- well Mike Weinle they didn't. Remember too I dyno'd it twice by two different shops.

and BTW, I took it to 4 people.. and talked to several more before sending them to Schmidt.

Schmidt wasn't surprised - in fact, the sales guy told me it wasn't the first set they had to repair that came from Mike Weinle. The only good that made me feel was that I wasn't the only one duped by this guy.

It is costing a small fortune.. but they are saying they will be as good as any set they sell. They need to weld back in material in order then to C&C them. They told me it looked like someone just took a cutter into the bowl... and then didn't do anything else. Told me the valves were wrong in size in several aspects.. the length - circumference - margin.. Even the guide liners need to be replaced.

The result will be seen.. good or bad. As soon as it gets put back together I have time scheduled again at the dyno to see what the difference is.. Dennis Wheets Jr. also is going to flow them first before they go on the motor.

duh--if schmidt is redoing the heads to new again--WHY ARE YOU GOING TO HAVE THEM FLOW TESTED AGAIN--DO YOU NOT REALLY TRUST SCHMIDT OR ANYONE AT ALL TO DO WORK FOR YOU[I KNOW YOU HAVE SAID YOU HAVE BEEN TOOK BUT ????? :wink: :roll: