Thread: manual transmission recomendations

manual transmission recomendations

I don't know much about the different manual transmissions. I am building a chevy small block that should put out around 500 h.p. and plan on putting it in my '55 chevy. I have heard muncie was the best 4-speed, then some say borg warner T10 and then there is saginaw.What are the real differences in wide ratio and close ratio? I would really like to go 5-speed, but haven't seen any that are affordable that will work in my car. This car will be mainly street driven. Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    street car or street strip

close ratio means not as big of a jump between gears so as you shift you can keep your rpm's in the power better
    i like the m22 rock crusher internals are dam near unbreakable my old man had a 10.50 nova way back in the day 402 bbc 13.5:1 rectangular port heads box tunnel ram 2 660 center squirters and 5:13 gears he split the cast aluminum case in half then put a super t 10 in
    all depends on the use intended

but a t 10 or super t 10 should be fine in your app both 4 sppeds both come in a few different gear sets

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    GO WITH THE M-22 IF YOU CAN STAND THE NOISE.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE oldandtired's Avatar
    You can get an iron midplate (bearing support) which really takes the flex out of a muncie.
    Dave
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/343797
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke