muffler type

Old 12-31-2011, 11:22 AM
ss68nova
APPRENTICE

Default muffler type

i have a 70 monte with 454 engine street car whats the best mufflers to use with a good sound, 2 1/2 exhaust with headers, thanks
Old 12-31-2011, 02:17 PM
andamo
MASTER BUILDER

Everyone sense of sound is somewhat different. Your best bet is to listen to different cars for the sound you like. Then ask the owner what they're using as an exhaust system. But you have to remember, that's not even a guarantee that yours will sound the same way. So many variables come into play, it's hard to match one cars sound with another. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:35 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

The best sounding vehicle I ever had was a Ford F150 with a 460 with a fairly big cam. It had a set of glass packs on it. The exhaust came out and over the rear end then turned down and the sound hit the ground and made it that much louder when outside the truck.
It may just be me, but glass packs sound really good on big motors.
I can't stand to hear some of todays motors and high pitched mufflers that some people use.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:55 PM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

i have wasted alot of money on what other people were using and ended up going back to the old school cherry bomb glass packs every time...... i love that sound and the inside of the car stays nice and quiet u can get them already flanged to bolt right to your headers too! like andamo said... everyone has their own idea of what sounds good :wink:
Old 01-01-2012, 04:33 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

i kinda like honda mufflers!!! i love the sound of pissed off bumble bees.lol. sorry, i couldnt stop myself.lol
Old 01-01-2012, 06:07 AM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by outlaw256
i kinda like honda mufflers!!! i love the sound of pissed off bumble bees.lol. sorry, i couldnt stop myself.lol
lmao :lol:
Old 01-01-2012, 08:11 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by outlaw256
lol.
Yeras ago I had a thrush muffler on a toyota 22R. It didn't sound toooooooo bad, but nothig like a big block with glasspacks.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:31 AM
bcw49
SENIOR BUILDER

Running a 450 HP. SBC 383 with Cherry Bomb Turbo's, sounds great to me. Don't care for the Flow Master sound.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:49 AM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

How about the round thrush mufflers. Anybody remember them? Do they still sell them? I ran hooker headers and round thrush. That was my exhaust system. It was easy when I went to the track and unbolted the mufflers. That was when I drove to the track raced and drove back home.
They had a nice deep tone. I used to get pulled over alot for load exhaust which was B.S. Did you ever hear a Harley running next to you on the highway. :lol: Never see them get pulled over. :?
Old 01-02-2012, 07:19 AM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

jegs has a whole selection of cherry bomb glass packs now.... damn i really love the sound and they last forever ..... lol

they got my 3 bolt flange ones listed as "new"... i got my first set of those from pep boys over 15yrs ago....lol

http://www.jegs.com/p/Cherry-Bomb/Ch...FWHatgodMUEkQg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -