1968 camaro w/powerglide driveshaft length

Old 12-17-2011, 06:28 AM
camaro96
SHOW GUEST

Default 1968 camaro w/powerglide driveshaft length

I purchased a 68 camaro w/o motor or tranny and am going with a powerglide. It did not come with a driveshaft either. Its got a mark williams 9 inch underneath it. I would like to know how long the driveshaft needs to be for my application without actually mocking everything up and measuring. Does anybody know?
Old 12-17-2011, 08:15 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

It's critical tha the engine/trans are installed FIRST to determine the exact length the driveshaft needs to be. Guesstimating ALWAYS ends in too short or too long. IMHO
Old 12-22-2011, 08:38 AM
frezmybuttoff
SHOW GUEST

I needed to get a new driveshaft for my Camaro as well and listen to the above advice.

Something else to think about when ordering a new shaft is u-joint size. I got all my stuff from a company called Shaftmaster's and they supplied me with a 3" x .095" wall, steel driveshaft with 1350 joints on each end.
Your 9" might already have the 1350 pinion yoke installed so you might as well get a slip yoke for the P/G made for a 1350.
Dave at Shaftmasters told me to measure from the tip of the tailshaft on the tranny to the tip of the pinion yoke and he figured the rest out. It fit perfect.
If I recall mine cost right around $300.