Pistons

Old 12-07-2011, 05:28 PM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Pistons

I went to the PRI show and really didnt get my ? answered as to coated pistons. I talked to one company that said what i did to the piston in my engine would not have happen if the top was coated. Talked to ross and they said that they dont think there coating would even hold up to that temp.

This is what happened to the piston, no nos jet on a fogger nozzle blew hole in piston. ops: This was my first time burning up a piston running nos after 30 years of useing nos.

I going to pull the motor and hope that nothing else is wrong, fingers crossed as i just built it. What do you guys think about coating the pistons, i know that it dose keep the temp down on the pistons and transfers it to the walls.

Robert Fla
Old 12-07-2011, 07:02 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I doubt the coatings would of helped no matter what brand IMO
Old 12-07-2011, 08:09 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I too don't think coating would have helped. I know you haven't pulled the engine down yet, but i would not be surprised that if you found the whole side of the piston is buned up. Putting that much nitrous in one hole has to be devistating to the cylinder and the piston.

JMO

Zip.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:09 AM
cncmotorsports
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: Pistons

Originally Posted by wazup
I went to the PRI show and really didnt get my ? answered as to coated pistons. I talked to one company that said what i did to the piston in my engine would not have happen if the top was coated. Talked to ross and they said that they dont think there coating would even hold up to that temp.

This is what happened to the piston, no nos jet on a fogger nozzle blew hole in piston. ops: This was my first time burning up a piston running nos after 30 years of useing nos.

I going to pull the motor and hope that nothing else is wrong, fingers crossed as i just built it. What do you guys think about coating the pistons, i know that it dose keep the temp down on the pistons and transfers it to the walls.

Robert Fla
We have thermal coatings and anodized pistons done for some nitrous engines we do.

How much nitrous are you spraying?
Old 12-08-2011, 04:51 PM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

CNC i have a big shot plate 280 and a pro fogger 350, plate off the line and fogger high gear with gluide. I had just rebuilt the motor so was just taking it easy on it. I had the plate on at the hit with 150 and turned it off when i hit the fogger with 150 about 400ft out and about 800ft pop and pulled the shoot and shut it down and cant beleive it put a hole in the piston. I have two foggers but only put one back on when i rebuilt the engine.

I have a good engine with good parts so i know it can handle it, Merlin 3 race prep block, bryant crank,carrllio rods,je pistons,brodix heads all jesel setup,rockers,belt drive,dry sump.

My big ? is that one person says coating would have prevented this from happen that only dose coating and ross says that i dont think so.

My thing is is it worth spending the money coating. I wanted to ask here the racer there opinion.

I dont know if you guys know Marty, he has the Flintstone,Scoobydoo dragsters. He is a friend of mine and had his pistons coated and the coating came off some of the pistons and he dont run nos so that said i am up in the air on this. I have no problem spending the money if its going to be worth it. How much more power is there to be had. Pros Cons hell i dont know. I want to try and do what ever to make it the best i can one more time. Give me your best opinion good or bad.

Thanks Robert
Old 12-08-2011, 07:55 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Robert, i'm probably going to get blasted for this post, but i don't care. Most of the engine builders on this site are just trying to sell their product and that's O'k, but they don't always offer the best advise. First of all you can't run a piston with over a 150 shot of nitrous, when the ring land is between .150 and .187 down from the piston top, coated or not coated, and a lot of the pistons have the top ring land raised for gas and a quick seal. It's the same with a blower motor which i run sometimes. The heat is extreme on nitrous and a blower moter. I personally like the Probe pistons because the top ring land is down .437, and good for nitrous or blower, you also can't run a 1/8" top ring, due to distorsion, and they have to be steel, due to the heat involved with nitrous.
I've built a couple nitrous motors in the last couple yrs and i used Probe pistons due to the lower ring land and they are both surviers with 250 shots.
I personally don't like nitrous, but i'm in LOVE with blown alcohol motors, and they are close too the same.

JMO

Zip.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:39 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

well zip. i dont see why you should get blassted for that. its speacks volumes of truth.i dont get that deep on building engines anymore. i havent for a long time. but you are 100% dead on on this one.i dont like nos either, but for different resons i quess. to me and probably only me, i think nos is for a engine that cant get the last of the power out of it.its not mechanical hp.i like to think that when i did build engines that i squeezed every bit of hp out of it with the parts and machine work i put into it. is this coming out like im trying to say?cheaters juice.lol.and i only had one shot to get a engine built. i couldnt afford to have a atomic bomb go off in the cyl.and have something come un-glued.and it will in time.some short ,some long, but it will happen.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:07 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by outlaw256
well zip. i dont see why you should get blassted for that. its speacks volumes of truth.i dont get that deep on building engines anymore. i havent for a long time. but you are 100% dead on on this one.i dont like nos either, but for different resons i quess. to me and probably only me, i think nos is for a engine that cant get the last of the power out of it.its not mechanical hp.i like to think that when i did build engines that i squeezed every bit of hp out of it with the parts and machine work i put into it. is this coming out like im trying to say?cheaters juice.lol.and i only had one shot to get a engine built. i couldnt afford to have a atomic bomb go off in the cyl.and have something come un-glued.and it will in time.some short ,some long, but it will happen.
x2 All this started when the bratty rice burners could not stay up with the detroit HP.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:50 AM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by zipper06
Robert, i'm probably going to get blasted for this post, but i don't care. Most of the engine builders on this site are just trying to sell their product and that's O'k, but they don't always offer the best advise. First of all you can't run a piston with over a 150 shot of nitrous, when the ring land is between .150 and .187 down from the piston top, coated or not coated, and a lot of the pistons have the top ring land raised for gas and a quick seal. It's the same with a blower motor which i run sometimes. The heat is extreme on nitrous and a blower moter. I personally like the Probe pistons because the top ring land is down .437, and good for nitrous or blower, you also can't run a 1/8" top ring, due to distorsion, and they have to be steel, due to the heat involved with nitrous.
I've built a couple nitrous motors in the last couple yrs and i used Probe pistons due to the lower ring land and they are both surviers with 250 shots.
I personally don't like nitrous, but i'm in LOVE with blown alcohol motors, and they are close too the same.

JMO

Zip.
Zip thats what i want to here. I have ran nitrous for 30 years or better with very little problems, most of them were small blocks and a ton of nos. I have allways had the ring land moved down on bb. I love to gruge race and there is races that i run that i dont run the nos.

I know a lot of guys say thats the only way I can make a motor run, i really dont care what they say because its what i like. I have seen guys run on motor for years and try nos for the first time and love it.

The coating on the pistons is what i really would like an honest opinion on. I know there is always i chance of burning a piston on a bbc because of the intake valve release in the piston is close to the ring. I also seen were the the head was coated.

I would like to also say that i built a ls5 into a ls7 with oval port heads ran trw lead sled pistons 3/8 rods two bolt block stock steel crank 620/640 solid lift cam and put 250 on plate and put 350 passes on her with out one problem and every pass was on the button. The car was a 69 ss chevelle that i ran nmca 1991 9.40 at 3810lbs with out me all factory car. To me racing is all about having fun nomatter what you have (no rice burners) so each to there on as long as your having fun!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:59 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

WRING what ya got !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -