need some input

Old 12-01-2011, 02:49 PM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Default need some input

no give me your input o this question please!

me and my friend are talking about how if u add more hp/tq and how it will change top speed? he is trying to say that adding hp/tq will not change the top speed... that you have to make changes to the drivetrain...? what do you think?
Old 12-01-2011, 03:09 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Lots of variables to look at.
You talking top speed over just a quarter mile or farther ?
You talking E.T. ?
ANY addition of HP/tq is gonna affect speed and E.T. but it all depends on WHERE the HP and torque come in to maximize the additional power available. THAT's when you get into gearing, suspension tune, weight, and tire contact.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:19 PM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
Lots of variables to look at.
You talking top speed over just a quarter mile or farther ?
You talking E.T. ?
ANY addition of HP/tq is gonna affect speed and E.T. but it all depends on WHERE the HP and torque come in to maximize the additional power available. THAT's when you get into gearing, suspension tune, weight, and tire contact.
were actually talking about all out throttle twisting on a crouch rocket....! he is trying to say you cant add more fuel/air and run faster?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:57 PM
hotrod1994
EXPERT BUILDER

so he thinks a 100 hp rocket and 350 hp rocket with same drive train will go the same speed?
more hp/tq with the same drive train = faster might not be a noticeable difference depending on how much hp/tq but more hp/tq will always get ya going faster\drive line changes help big time like in a car but hp/tq can do the same
Old 12-01-2011, 07:32 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

HP and TQ will always add to speed and lower ET, however you may have to change the gearing to get the most benifit from it.

JMO

Zip.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:37 PM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by mrbigtrucks
so he thinks a 100 hp rocket and 350 hp rocket with same drive train will go the same speed?
more hp/tq with the same drive train = faster might not be a noticeable difference depending on how much hp/tq but more hp/tq will always get ya going faster\drive line changes help big time like in a car but hp/tq can do the same
yes... he said if it was 100hp or 5000hp....the top speed will stay the same.....lol

but you guys are saying the same thing i am.... it will increase
Old 12-01-2011, 11:13 PM
bluedawg357
CRAFTSMAN

I'm by no means an expert, but I was lead to beleave that a revolution was a revolution & with the drive train being the same, regardless of horse power & torque at any givin rpm you would still be turning the same speed. Increased HP & tq just brought about how fast you could gain rpm thus making the gain in speed being quicker lowering the et and raising the top speed in the givin distance. With this being said in cars with over drive or real high gearing if you don't have enough power you can't reach the reclined in high gear. I could be wrong about this & the only thing I could use to back this up is Wallace racing has an automotive calculator that will tell you what speed you are going using tire diameter, rpm and drive ratio.

Just my .02$
Old 12-02-2011, 05:19 AM
cncmotorsports
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by fast75vega
Originally Posted by mrbigtrucks
yes... he said if it was 100hp or 5000hp....the top speed will stay the same.....lol

but you guys are saying the same thing i am.... it will increase
If you have a 6500 RPM rev limiter they will stay the same speed (MPH). More power, more speed. The more power you make the quicker and harder the engine will want to accelerate your vehicle.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:27 PM
coolracing
MASTER BUILDER

Depending on the rocket he is correct I worked for a dealership for many years and had a few customers come back after doing alot of work on their bikes and were upset with the bikes because top speed would not change. It was because newer rockets not all of them but some do have a rev limiter that is run by mph and you need certain programmers to eliminate the saftey option.So in some cases your not running out of power, your just getting screwed by a computer... :x
Old 12-02-2011, 09:21 PM
bluedawg357
CRAFTSMAN

The only way top speed changes is if redline changes, unless the drive train final drive is changed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -