Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need some input

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

need some input

no give me your input o this question please!

me and my friend are talking about how if u add more hp/tq and how it will change top speed? he is trying to say that adding hp/tq will not change the top speed... that you have to make changes to the drivetrain...? what do you think?
    GOOD PARTS AREN'T CHEAP AND CHEAP PARTS ARE NEVER GOOD.........
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lastscan-3.jpg

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar
    Lots of variables to look at.
    You talking top speed over just a quarter mile or farther ?
    You talking E.T. ?
    ANY addition of HP/tq is gonna affect speed and E.T. but it all depends on WHERE the HP and torque come in to maximize the additional power available. THAT's when you get into gearing, suspension tune, weight, and tire contact.
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898

Quote Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
    Lots of variables to look at.
    You talking top speed over just a quarter mile or farther ?
    You talking E.T. ?
    ANY addition of HP/tq is gonna affect speed and E.T. but it all depends on WHERE the HP and torque come in to maximize the additional power available. THAT's when you get into gearing, suspension tune, weight, and tire contact.
    were actually talking about all out throttle twisting on a crouch rocket....! he is trying to say you cant add more fuel/air and run faster?

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    so he thinks a 100 hp rocket and 350 hp rocket with same drive train will go the same speed?
    more hp/tq with the same drive train = faster might not be a noticeable difference depending on how much hp/tq but more hp/tq will always get ya going faster\drive line changes help big time like in a car but hp/tq can do the same

HP and TQ will always add to speed and lower ET, however you may have to change the gearing to get the most benifit from it.

JMO

Zip.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbigtrucks
    so he thinks a 100 hp rocket and 350 hp rocket with same drive train will go the same speed?
    more hp/tq with the same drive train = faster might not be a noticeable difference depending on how much hp/tq but more hp/tq will always get ya going faster\drive line changes help big time like in a car but hp/tq can do the same
    yes... he said if it was 100hp or 5000hp....the top speed will stay the same.....lol

but you guys are saying the same thing i am.... it will increase

Member CRAFTSMAN
    I'm by no means an expert, but I was lead to beleave that a revolution was a revolution & with the drive train being the same, regardless of horse power & torque at any givin rpm you would still be turning the same speed. Increased HP & tq just brought about how fast you could gain rpm thus making the gain in speed being quicker lowering the et and raising the top speed in the givin distance. With this being said in cars with over drive or real high gearing if you don't have enough power you can't reach the reclined in high gear. I could be wrong about this & the only thing I could use to back this up is Wallace racing has an automotive calculator that will tell you what speed you are going using tire diameter, rpm and drive ratio.

Just my .02$
    This wouldn't have happened if only you had been paying attention!

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Quote Originally Posted by fast75vega
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbigtrucks
    yes... he said if it was 100hp or 5000hp....the top speed will stay the same.....lol

but you guys are saying the same thing i am.... it will increase
    If you have a 6500 RPM rev limiter they will stay the same speed (MPH). More power, more speed. The more power you make the quicker and harder the engine will want to accelerate your vehicle.
    Competition Engines & Hardcore Engine Parts
    www.cnc-motorsports.com
    [email protected]

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Depending on the rocket he is correct I worked for a dealership for many years and had a few customers come back after doing alot of work on their bikes and were upset with the bikes because top speed would not change. It was because newer rockets not all of them but some do have a rev limiter that is run by mph and you need certain programmers to eliminate the saftey option.So in some cases your not running out of power, your just getting screwed by a computer... :x

Member CRAFTSMAN
    The only way top speed changes is if redline changes, unless the drive train final drive is changed.
    This wouldn't have happened if only you had been paying attention!