Longest stroke in a Merlin block

Old 10-10-2011, 02:44 PM
rrrdad
APPRENTICE

Default Longest stroke in a Merlin block

Just like it says. What is the longest stroke you can put in a merlin standard and tall deck?
Old 10-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

4.375 in the 9.8 deck 4.75 in the 10.2" deck

http://www.worldcastings.com/product...vrolet-blocks/
Old 10-11-2011, 04:36 PM
rrrdad
APPRENTICE

ok great... can a 632 be a wet sump?
Old 10-15-2011, 01:11 AM
michael1
MASTER BUILDER

You can actually put a 4.50 in a 9.8 deck but I wouldn't do it, Scott Shafiroff builds a 598 in a 9.8 deck block. Are you going with a block that has a raised cam?
Old 10-15-2011, 05:03 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Actually you an put a 4.625 in a 9.8 and make a 615 APD does it all the time
Old 10-17-2011, 09:42 AM
michael1
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by hammertime
That's why I asked about a raised cam block, BES does stuff like that also. APD does alot of testing on all kind of stuff, they had a real good article a couple of years ago on some Big Chief testing that they did. I don't think APD gets as much credit as they should.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:26 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by michael1
That's why I asked about a raised cam block, BES does stuff like that also. APD does alot of testing on all kind of stuff, they had a real good article a couple of years ago on some Big Chief testing that they did. I don't think APD gets as much credit as they should.
Actually do not need a raised cam block. Mine is a 4.5 stroke in a 9.8 deck also.

That article was the start of a major change in cam profiles, the engine was a good friend of mine, he purchased from a big name builder and put a terminator on it. It developed the mystery "alky miss" and did not run nearly as well as it should of. APD was close so John Kyle did a bunch of work and figured it out with a cam he designed. They also have designed some of the best bbc heads on the market.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:20 AM
maxpower671
SENIOR BUILDER

Actually do not need a raised cam block. Mine is a 4.5 stroke in a 9.8 deck also.

That article was the start of a major change in cam profiles, the engine was a good friend of mine, he purchased from a big name builder and put a terminator on it. It developed the mystery "alky miss" and did not run nearly as well as it should of. APD was close so John Kyle did a bunch of work and figured it out with a cam he designed. They also have designed some of the best bbc heads on the market.
like to hear more about this 'alky miss'....is this the miss big inch alky engines develop...and a longer exhaust duration helps clean it up?? :?:
Old 10-19-2011, 06:59 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by maxpower671

like to hear more about this 'alky miss'....is this the miss big inch alky engines develop...and a longer exhaust duration helps clean it up?? :?:
There used to be a article on APD's website but they recently updated it and I can not find it. Maybe search the net for it. Should be APD and Big Duke Head. Exhaust duration is part of it.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:21 AM
michael1
MASTER BUILDER

That article is the reason that my cam has the specs that is has. APD did alot of testing with the 18* stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -