mellings oil pump

Old 10-07-2011, 09:19 PM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default mellings oil pump

just read all the older posts about the mellings m-55 oil pumps. bottom line is they were made cheaper with less metal and company says (lies about it) that it is to save weight . they still use the old casting (heavier) for their select racing pump. thwey have a disclaimer in with their m-55 pumps and say that they shouldnt be used in race engines or in engines with steel motor mounts. my car goes to 8000 rpms and DOES have steel mounts. my engine builder friend sold me a m-55, with the moroso pickup for my chev 2 oil pan and says DONT WORRY they are ok. i am worried and dont want to loose a very expensive race engine over a cheap oil pump. is this pump any good, or should i get a new one, and which new one should it be thanks art
Old 10-08-2011, 02:58 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

I bought one for my motor early this year and my builder gave it back to me and ordered the correct one,wish i could remember the number,he said its only a matter of time before they break.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:08 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

If you had a heart transplant, would you want a weaker one installed or a stronger one ?
For the relative cheaper cost of a high quality oil pump compared to the overall cost of the whole engine........
Old 10-08-2011, 08:16 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Go dry sump and that'll solve all your worries. :wink: To me it wasn't a cost it was an investment to make sure I had a good oiling system for my motor. I wouldn't want to turn a motor much over 7,000 with a wet sump. I think it's around 7,600 or 7,800 you start loosing oil pressure with a wet sump on a BBC.