zz502 timing chain and sprockets question

Old 10-01-2011, 01:49 PM
visualsmoke
APPRENTICE

Default zz502 timing chain and sprockets question

Regarding the single roller timing chain and sprockets that come on a crate engine zz502 (timing chain and sprockets: GM part number 12371053), are these machined in a 'retarded' configuration? The literature I got with my new Edelbrock cam says this is the case.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:58 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I think most of the GM motors come with the 10 degree retard on the cam since the use of ECM's and the knock sensers. i can remember back in the 80's the trick for a little more performance was to degree the cam in to "0" for more bottom end. But i would still pull the timing cover and check the gear. I had a friend who had a ZZ502 in his truck, it lasted about 40,000 miles and shelled the gear. It had plastic teeth on the cam gear for less noise, i don't know if they still use them, but i know they have been used since the 1960's, just a precausion.

Zip.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:01 PM
visualsmoke
APPRENTICE

Default Pix of cam sprocket

The gears are not plastic. They look to be quite heavy duty. In fact, the chain is bigger than the drive chain on my motorcycle. Looks to be plenty strong for my needs, so, provided they are not machined 'retarded', I'd like to reuse them.
The pix below can be clicked for a super-sized view.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:25 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Then the only way you can see if the cam in installed at 10 degrees retarded, is to get the specs for the cam and put a degree wheel on the engine. Doesn't take but a couple hours, but then you'll know for sure.

JMO

Zip.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:10 AM
visualsmoke
APPRENTICE

Default Thanks

Thanks for the tips. I will mock it up with the degree wheel as you suggest and see what happens. I post and let you know what I find.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:53 PM
ganther5000
SHOW GUEST

let us know I'm interested on how this is gonna turn out

Last edited by ganther5000; 10-16-2021 at 03:46 AM.
Old 02-01-2024, 03:02 AM
Alexand
SHOW GUEST

Spotted your post and reckoned I could chuck in a bit of useful info. So, the timing chain and sprockets that you get with the crate engine ZZ502, right? They're actually machined in what you'd call a 'retarded' config compared to the usual timing setups. This means the camshaft timing's done a bit later in the engine cycle. It's not odd for performance engines like the ZZ502, this, as it can give the engine's performance a bit of a boost, especially with the power output when you're pushing higher RPMs.