one piece oil pan gasket question

Old 09-25-2011, 08:51 AM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default one piece oil pan gasket question

im using a felpro one piece oil pan gasket on my new SBC engine. the pan just seems like it is not all the way down before i start to tighten it down for the first time and i dont like to tighten stuff or pull stuff down with a bolt if something is wrong... the oil pump is not in the way. maybe the gasket needs to be really crunched down with the bolts as part of the pan sealing to the block. could someone please explain to me if this is normal with this type of gasket. even the old pan and old gasket do the same thing, so that leads me to believed it is just a tightening thing that needs to be done thanks art
Old 09-25-2011, 09:18 AM
EXPERT BUILDER

Tighten it up! You can't crush that gasket.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:26 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: one piece oil pan gasket question

Originally Posted by chevyart
im using a felpro one piece oil pan gasket on my new SBC engine. the pan just seems like it is not all the way down before i start to tighten it down for the first time and i dont like to tighten stuff or pull stuff down with a bolt if something is wrong... the oil pump is not in the way. maybe the gasket needs to be really crunched down with the bolts as part of the pan sealing to the block. could someone please explain to me if this is normal with this type of gasket. even the old pan and old gasket do the same thing, so that leads me to believed it is just a tightening thing that needs to be done thanks art
This has been brought up before a couple yrs. ago, a lot of people don't like them others do. I personally don't like them, but have used them on builds before, the one thing that i do is too use oil pan studs if i use the 1 pc. gasket, they slip like a big dog without studs.

JMO

Zip.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:18 PM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default oil pan gasket

thanks guys for info. i guess ill just be brave and put it on and tighten it down and see what hasppens. i have studs to use on the 2 frone holes and the two rear holes. reason i was so skeptical is that the pan jnust seems to have to crunch down so far to lay flat and get tight. guess thats how it gets a good seal (i hope) art
Old 09-26-2011, 03:33 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

The one thing I found on using them on my engine is there are actually 3 different ones for sbc. They normally list the ones for the 1957-74 as thin front seal, and the ones for 1986-97 as thick front seal. I have an early model block and a champ pan but the 57-74 gasket was to thin and the 86-97 was too thick. There is a medium one listed as being for 1975-85 part #OS34510T. Might be something to look into.

Curtis