Need HELP starting a 1/8 mile in Lubbock, TX

Old 09-15-2011, 03:46 PM
cheesy
SHOW GUEST

Default Need HELP starting a 1/8 mile in Lubbock, TX

We need help down here! We have a city of 240,000 with many small towns in close proximity. We had an 1/8th mile for the last couple of years, but the guys that ran it could'nt get along with land owners. We used to have 1/4 mile about 10 miles outside of town but it closed due to a construction lawsuit. We have more that enough racers to run and a great place to do it(google map Town and Country Airport Lubbock, Tx), unfortunately no one will take charge to do it. I don't want the racing to stop and I know there could be a great venue that could draw people from a couple hundred miles away(it used to be that way) Any suggestions? Sponsors or avenues to talk with one?
Old 09-15-2011, 04:39 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Unless that is a PRIVATE air strip, the Feds will NOT let you use it for anything but landing aircraft on.

-----------------------
Old 09-15-2011, 08:04 PM
cheesy
SHOW GUEST

It is private, we raced 1/8th mile on it this summer and for the past two years when our 1/4 mile track closed. It actually got IHRA sanctioned, but closed because of a lease dispute. The problem is some of the racers bitched too much because the guys were new to the business with no prior racing know-how. I don't know much about the business end of it, but some of us were even thinking about a co-op.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:51 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

These folks at Walla Walla, Washington started with nothing but a dream and an old airstrip. Call them and see what they did.

http://www.wwdragstrip.com/

Cool video from WaWaDragStrip;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlT-y...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-21-2011, 05:30 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

just watched that video. loved that little girl.that video got me to thinkin about a 1/4 mile here in the little town i live in.keep me from runnin on the back roads.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:10 PM
cheesy
SHOW GUEST

Default City won't let us open a track

We now have a sponsor that is willing to put 400K in a airstrip that USED to be open for the Airforce(NO planes have landed there in years) and the city owns it. He talked with the NHRA and got them stoked about the idea to have an ENNIS-size facility in this region in the Texas Panhandle. Problem is this- the F---k'n mayor and the manager of REESE Technology center in Lubbock, Tx will not let it happen. The sponsor approached them with a preliminary business model that could generate several million dollars anually, new jobs, a local boom for hotels, restaraunts, businesses- and they shot it down. This could be a Premier facility for a 3 state region for racers. Look at this place on google maps and you'll see what I mean-perfect place for a 1/4 track- and we have $ to make it happen. What a bunch of IDIOTS! Somebody send these guys Emails!