Thread: mixing fluids

mixing fluids

just fitted a b&m deep pan to my t350, after searching here guy's are recomending to run 'f' type fluid. i have been running dexron III so the convertor still has a bit left in it, should i mix the 'f' type or keep using the dexIII.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR

mixing

Not quite on this subject, but does anyone use MOBIL 1 synthetic or Lucas synthetic trans fluid?

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheRabbit's Avatar
    I don't think it will hurt mixing them together.

My trans builder always tells me to run Lucas, but I never have. I've used Red Line and Royal Purple and used the cheaper B&M trans fliud too.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    As everyone knows the Dexron fluid normally used by GM has a slipping agent, GM has never rccommended the type F because it doesn't contain the slipping agent, which Ford forever has recommended and shifts more solid. I've run Type F for over 40 yrs, in both racing and street cars and i've mixed them. I don't buy the special oils just OTC and i never use an additive like seal savers or anything else. I've tried the B&M and saw no difference from OTC's. I do use The VR1 in the alcohol engines, otherwise it's just OTC's.

JMO

Zip.

thanks guy's i think i'll try the f type fluid.

Re: mixing

Quote Originally Posted by markdunlap
    Not quite on this subject, but does anyone use MOBIL 1 synthetic or Lucas synthetic trans fluid?
    Mobil 1 or Amsoil synthetic is great stuff, a 30 degree drop in the round robin late rounds.

Mixing will not hurt
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    I bought a P/G from FTI and ask them what fluid did they want me to run in it and said type F do to it dont foam like other fluids.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR

Re: mixing

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by markdunlap
    Mobil 1 or Amsoil synthetic is great stuff, a 30 degree drop in the round robin late rounds.

Mixing will not hurt
    X2...on Amsoil synthetic trans fluid.

TS1955

Quote Originally Posted by wazup
    I bought a P/G from FTI and ask them what fluid did they want me to run in it and said type F do to it dont foam like other fluids.
    thats not all the way true, I was a diehard Type F guy for years until I bought some "wolfs head" brand ... it foamed worse then anything I've ever seen. Stay away from anything they make

Amsoil also does not foam, a good fact if none of you have done this, fluids are a major deal on converter stall. You can tighten or loosen a converter with just a fluid change
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com