Thread: CLEARENCE BETWEEN BOTTOM OF HOOD AND CARBURATORS????

CLEARENCE BETWEEN BOTTOM OF HOOD AND CARBURATORS????

HEY GUYS I NEED A LITTLE HELP WITH A QUESTION ABOUT CLEARENCE FROM BOTTOM OF A FIBERGLASS HOOD TO TOP OF CARBURATORS, I HAVE A 632 BBC , CONVENTIONAL HEADED, WITH TWO 1050'S DOMINATORS IN TOP OF IT , I HAD TO MODIFY MY COWL HOOD TO FIT THE CAR , BUT ENDED UP WITH 2.5 INCHES FROM BOTTOM OF HOOD TO TOP OF CARB , ON FRONT CARB ,,,AND ON BACK OF CARB CLEARENCE IS 3 INCHES ,, IS THAT ENOUGH CLEARENCE ? EM I GOING TO CAUSE TOO MUCH TURBULANCE ON AIR INTAKE OR STARVE MOTOR FOR AIR??? I THINK IT SHOULD BE OK , BUT WANTED TO HEAR SOME FEED BACK , THANKS FOR THE HELP :?: :?:

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    I think it would work o'k if you have an air box, keeping the air icolated on top of the carbs and not letting air come from anywhere else. I have 3" with a stacks injection with an air box on alcohol, works fine, but it's sm/blk 434"

JMO

Zip.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zipper06
    I think it would work o'k if you have an air box, keeping the air icolated on top of the carbs and not letting air come from anywhere else. I have 3" with a stacks injection with an air box on alcohol, works fine, but it's sm/blk 434"

JMO

Zip.

Agreed, seal the intake air off from ANY preheated engine room air, taking it ALL from the base of the windshield.

-----------
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE jmarksdragster's Avatar
    One problem you can have is if the vents see too much turbulence. Bowl pressure that comes from the vents is what pushes fuel into the engine, mess the pressures up and fuel delivery becomes erratic. Make a couple tubes similar to the picture below, if you find that the engine gets rich with them on leave them on and jet the engine for peak MPH. If it makes no change you likely don't need them and don't have an issue at the vents.

Mark Whitener
    http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work can't be good.

thanks for all the feedback guys, i appreciate it we made some adjustments to hood and will now have 3.5 in front and 4 inches in back carb,