12V to 16V Conversion

Old 07-31-2011, 09:55 AM
chads55chevy
APPRENTICE

Default 12V to 16V Conversion

Hey Fellas...
Can anyone give me insight for a conversion. I presently have a 468 BBC with a 6-71 blower in my bracket car and I am considering a change to 16 Volt. What must I do to convert. Obviously I need to buy a 16 v. battery. Many people have converted because there must be an advantage. If it is too cost prohibitive then I may just stay with what I have. I am doing a complete rewire in my 55 Chevy for just drag racing. There are no wires left in the car and dash. All have been removed so I can do a professional installation. Thanks for any input!!
Old 07-31-2011, 02:34 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

The only thing you have to do is buy the battery and put it in. Once you do you'll wish you had done it a long time ago!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 PM
chads55chevy
APPRENTICE

Default 12v to 16v Conversion

Originally Posted by TheRabbit
The only thing you have to do is buy the battery and put it in. Once you do you'll wish you had done it a long time ago!
Thank You Rabbit!! Is it really that easy???? Can you tell me what are the advantages.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:49 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

It is not really that easy..... you still need a new charger for the 16V and have to update your alternator if you run one :lol:

Now it is that easy.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:43 AM
chads55chevy
APPRENTICE

Default 12v-16v conversion

Originally Posted by shawnp
It is not really that easy..... you still need a new charger for the 16V and have to update your alternator if you run one :lol:

Now it is that easy.
shawnp Thank You for the additional information!!
Old 08-01-2011, 12:33 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

If you don't run an alternator make sure the battery is rated to be used without one. A friend of mine has one of the lightweight Turbostart 16v batteries and it doesn't give you any warning that it is running low. Start up head to the lanes, get ready for the round and nothing. We have found that that particular model is to be used only with an alternator. Don't know which ones are or aren't that way though, sorry I myself run 12v. Just a heads up.

Curtis
Old 08-01-2011, 02:59 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: 12v to 16v Conversion

Originally Posted by chads55chevy
Thank You Rabbit!! Is it really that easy???? Can you tell me what are the advantages.
The advantage is a 16 volt gives your ingnition more than 14 volts which is what it needs to opperate correctly. When you run a 12 volt battery and no alternator your not giving the ignition more than 11 to 11.5 volts (unless you run an alternator). You can put 3 12 volt batteries in a car, but you still have 12 volts. Also 16 volts spins the starter like a diesel motor turns over. fast and hard enough to start big inch high compression motors.

I've heard all kinds of stories about somebody knows somebody that had problems yata yata yata, but I've never seen it. In mud racing racing if you see somebody with a 12 volt battery you don't have to worry about him being fast!! I run the XS Power like this one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/XSP-S1600/

It also speeds up your fan, water pump and fuel pump so make sure to check you pressure after you install it.
You can save about $100 if you buy the charger for 16 volt only, but I bought the 16 - 12 volt just incase I needed to charge a 12 volt.
I put a new battery in my truck every year or 18 months at the most. I'm not gonna go to a race and have battery issues.

You can also run a 16 volt alternator if you need to.

Trust me you'll like it!
Old 08-01-2011, 04:11 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: 12v to 16v Conversion

I've heard all kinds of stories about somebody knows somebody that had problems yata yata yata, but I've never seen it.
Was this toward me?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:18 PM
chads55chevy
APPRENTICE

Default 12v to 16v conversion

Thanks again Rabbit!! for the info Hey...."Tricks are for Kids"
Old 08-02-2011, 02:46 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Even with the alternator, make sure to check your charge. With the 16v stuff, when it's dead it is really dead. LOL. We give it a full charge at some point during the week or before going into the trailer when done for the weekend. We will charge it again after time trials and time permitting will charge it between later rounds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -