dragster suggestions

Old 07-27-2011, 08:45 AM
katie
SHOW GUEST

Default dragster suggestions

My daughter will be getting out of jr dragster in a year or so and we would like to get into a super comp dragster. Our plan is to do some bracket racing and run a local super comp series.
My question is how do you know what is a good used dragster?
We plan on buying used and turn key.Our budget is around 10-15 G.

I hear guys say don't buy a old one like 80's because they are all used up!

Any suggestions ?
We were also thinking of a altered also.
Thanks for the help
Old 07-28-2011, 02:55 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

My 1st and strongest suggest to you is to buy a car that has suspension. I prefer a swingarm car but a traditional 4-link works good as well. Hardtail or slip joint cars are not for the inexperienced driver. They can become a handful very quickly when trying to get them stopped or on a rough track.

As for what to buy, well I would tell you Racetech gets my vote but there are a lot of good cars out there. Undercover, Worthy, Mullis, Danny Nelson and Miller would be some of my top choices. With the budget you have in mind the car will end up being a little older. The 1st thing to do is make sure that the driver is comfortable in the car meaning the fit is good and she can reach all the switches on the dash without issues. Next exam the frame. Make the owner remove the body panels. Look for signs of stressed or cracked upright bars in the front, behind the driver and in the engine area. Make sure the car has a recent certification. Do not buy a car without a current tag that you are told will certify. There is most likely a reason there is not a cert on it now. Take a look in the trailer or for signs of a round rubber air bladder. The air bladder goes under the car when tied down and inflated to help stop the chassis from flexing during transport.

My final suggest, find a fellow racer that is at your home track that has experience with dragsters. Take time to talk to them and get as much time in the lanes looking at different brand cars. You may find your best deal is not advertised and sitting at your home track.

Good luck
Old 07-28-2011, 06:21 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

A car that is currently competitive is also a factor as it will have been maintained regularly. Looks tidy, clean, and doesn't show signs of wear'n'tear. A 'fun runner' that is not raced regularly will more than likely have issues.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:34 PM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Junior dragster to Super Comp? I don't think so - tune down to SG or bracket. An 8.90 car can get away from you quickly.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:51 AM
katie
SHOW GUEST

thanks for the good advise .

So you see nothing wrong with buying a older car?
But how old is too old?
What would you pass on as far as age goes, or would the price become a big factor?

Rob
Old 08-02-2011, 05:40 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Personally I like to turn a car every 2 years. There are several guys that do this so you will find some good deals right now on 2008-2010 cars. I would not hesitate to buy a car that is older than that but I would say 2006 or so would be my personal limit. If it is older than that I would want to know the owner and how they took care of it each weekend so it would be a local guy.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:12 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Be different! Raise some eyebrows! Have some fun! GO FRONT ENGINE!!!!