Dragster wheelbase?

Old 07-10-2011, 09:47 AM
smithjdb
SHOW GUEST

Default Dragster wheelbase?

I need some advice. I used to run a 225 hardtail dragster in SC. I have been out of racing for several years but would like to go back racing in Top Dragster. My questions are what is the best wheelbase and chassis type for T/D, ie swing arm, four link, slip tube etc.? I will use the vehicle for top dragster and fast bracket (high dollar) races. No local track points or S/C. I would appreciate any advice you could give on wheelbase and chassis type as well as any other advice to build the base line car, i.e. gearing, tire size, converter etc. I will be using a 632 BBC with either an 871 blower or two dominators and nitrous (suggestions?).
Old 07-11-2011, 04:44 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

I would suggest something 235'-245" on the wheelbase and make sure that you invest in the wing for the car as well. I highly recommend a swingarm suspension and for your application I would consider something with 2 shocks versus a mono shock if you are going to be a 1200 HP player with that motor. I would always recommend a call to Russ at RaceTech for a good conversation on chassis as I am more than pleased with what Russ gives us. However, being in Florida, a call to Kurt at Undercover would be a good choice.

As for your gearing, converter and other factors, that will have to be determined on your final choice for your motor combo. You are probably looking at a 34.5 tire. I like the Hoosier but you will get multiple opinions on which are faster or which have more/less shake.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:08 PM
smithjdb
SHOW GUEST

Thanks for the quick response. Can you tell me why you recommend 2 shocks vs monoshock?
Old 07-11-2011, 04:22 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

I am a big fan of the mono shock and my current racetech is set up mono. When you get into big HP or applications that are going to be a big tire hit like a NOS car then there is more stability with 2 shocks. If you are thinking blower, you can probably control the hit some with the tune up and be OK on just 1 shock. For guys that are putting down the big horsepower and making these sub 7 second runs, there is just a little more tuning available out of the dual shock car over the single shock. A bracket car does not change and there is very little tuning. A single shock in my opinion on your average dragster running into the 4.50's is just fine. Either way, single or dual, I would make it a swingarm and not a wishboned 4-link.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:21 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

245" swingarm no doubt, dual shock IMO for something that fast.

Like Shawn said a wing is a must also.