Venting

Old 06-05-2011, 06:18 PM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Venting

Hurt the motor less than 3 miles no runs, really pissed off not looking forward to the next couple of disccusions I will have shortlt,,,,,,,just venting
Jeff
Old 06-06-2011, 02:46 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Venting

Originally Posted by bixblk
Hurt the motor less than 3 miles no runs, really pissed off not looking forward to the next couple of disccusions I will have shortlt,,,,,,,just venting
Jeff
ok to vent but make a little sense so we understand what your venting about ....k ?

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 06-06-2011, 03:24 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

I believe it is about the engine overheating and popping three freeze plugs. Sounds like bad news.

http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtopic.php?t=16682
Old 06-06-2011, 03:36 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by fla1976
I believe it is about the engine overheating and popping three freeze plugs. Sounds like bad news.

http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtopic.php?t=16682

Damn. Treed again. :wink:
Old 06-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Here is what Jeff is talking about:

I am not going to pretend to understand all this; but I have never had a freeze plug get so cold it worked its way out.... had a few motors exceed a little over 200 w/o damage too. Anyways Jeff, try to stay cool (I know its hard) until you you have evidence of what really occurred... getting pissed will lower your intelligence & is not good for future negotiations about this motor dilemma. Be slow to anger & quick to listen until you know every detail.

Need some advice, I started my brand new fresh 496 inch BBC to get it ready for the track. I checked the radiator , it had fluid, i checked the under the car to check for any leaks OK, could not check the oil level because the moroso pan still has the allen in it. fired it up oil pressure came up, let it idle in the garage about 3 minutes checking the oil and water gauges, started to get temp in the motor as per the gauge. drove it approx 2 miles very locally. never ran up the rpms and never saw any smoke till the end. I started to lose oil pressure so i shut the car on the street , it would not shut off because apparently it was very hot , I never saw the temp gauge over 200 (while running) and it would go down when i drove. i had shut off the fuel pump so the motor ended up shutting off maybe 25 secs after turning off the key. Got a couple of guys to help me push it into my drive way. under the motor in the street were 3 freeze plugs.Called the motor builder talk to him. I ran water thru the block just trying to cool it down and of course the water just came pouring out the missing freeze plug holes.2 hours later cool to the touch I started the engine it had oil pressure 60 lbs but I had spoke to the motor guy and he was going to check it out and see whats happening... anyway the motor must have got very hot because it pushed intake gaskets out ,oil around the valve cover bolts, oil smelled bad etc. My motor guy pulled the motor out because of the external evidence of heat... I think what may have happened is the car was in my unheated garage all winter, I was told it had coolant but maybe it just too cold and pushed the freeze plugs out or close to out or maybe got caught on the cross member, because they were not under the car when I started it. I am very pissed off but not sure how to handle this. I spoke to motor guy and I except honesty and fairness but I did nothing to this motor to have it over heat and feel zero responsibility for this . how do you feel . Let me know
Old 06-06-2011, 06:24 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

My observations are;
1 - EVERY Fall when I 'winterize' my race cars, I either drain ALL the coolant out,(including removing the radiator and draining every last drop out of it)
or
2 - I make SURE that my coolant(antifreeze mix) is good for 40 degrees BELOW zero.
Note #1; I NEVER have an engine where I cannot accuratly check my oil level.
Note #2; I ALWAYS epoxy my freeze plugs into the block at time of build up.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:31 PM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

ive had motors run 240 to 260 due to not turning on fan or water pump on and never lost a freeze plug on any motor.... maybe i just been lucky :wink:
Old 06-07-2011, 04:09 PM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Thanks

All good info and great advice,
I will be smart and under control about this
THANKS FOLKS
Old 06-07-2011, 05:17 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

did you pay somebody to winterize the motor or did you do it yourself?
Old 06-10-2011, 07:04 PM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default 496

Mike Lopez @ High Speed Performance built my BBC 496 , after paying for the work I went over the particulars about the motor on 10-23-10
Including
Break in oil when he would like regular oil in it (Miles or passes)
What the valves need to be set at Hot and cold
It threw belts during the road test he rebushed the alt, I had told them it was throwing belts
asked about brad penn oil if he liked it
told him I would like to go to the track but becaused it was delayed with the build it may or may not happen, so i asked if it had coolant or water he said coolant
asked about the advantages of a vacum pump and using for my brake booster
talked about the .040 milling of the heads
cam indexing
plugs to use when spraying and not spraying
we went over alot
But the key thing was he knew I keep the car in an unheated garage next to another 70 chevelle with a BBC, that was made clear
That car had coolant for chicagoland weather

It spit out the freeze plugs and over heated. I did do a visual inspection under the car before starting it and I also checked the radiator and it had fluid in it, I suspect it had a air block because i saw fluid, today when I spoke with him and asked if he still had a stance of zero responsibility, he said Yes , because I should have pulled off the radiator cap and checked.

Which I did and had told him that before , so he obviously did not listen to me or did not believe me, either way that was a poor decision, because that shows me he wants to "hide" and skirt his responsibilities.

Anyway proving fault is hard but in the long run not doing the right thing catches up with you. JMO

So to get back to your question I was told the fresh 496 had coolant by the owner of the shop!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -