Alky Carb Conversion Back To Gas

Old 05-21-2011, 05:38 PM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Alky Carb Conversion Back To Gas

Ok Guys... dumb question of the day...? Did I see somewhere a kit to convert Alky Carbs back to Gas... or am I just nuts...? Is this even possible? I thought I saw somewhere an alky to gas metering plate conversion kit, but isn't the throttle body drilled out bigger too along with bigger squirters and nozzles?
I have three nice alky carbs but have gone back to VP113 for dirt track racing, and I need to get a couple gas carbs ready. I could sell these alky carbs and buy new gaser carbs, but it would be much cheaper to convert back than buying two or three new gasser carbs. I looked though the threads but I don't find any mentioning of this reverse conversion...? Thanks in advance for any help you could offer...
Old 05-22-2011, 03:43 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

What carb? Boosters need to be replaced, and new metering blocks, different squirters. You need to compare the idle discharge hole and transition slots with a gas carb to see if there were any mods done there. Realistically, cheaper to sell or find a trade.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:40 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default alky

Would it be an option to have the original carb builder to do the conversion back? At least you would have a better chance of it being correct the first time.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:57 PM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking guys...? More trouble than its worth...?

I don't know who originally build them, as they came on running race engines when I bought them. One is a nice Willy's 750 with adjustable plates, another is a Holley HP750, and third one is an older Barry Grant 750... one of the really nice annular discharge builds not just a conversion. I just hate to park them on the shelf and go spend a couple thousand on new gas carbs... I just might keep them and run the late model car on alky.

Thanks for replies...