Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Quick question

I am taking my 68 Chevelle to one more cruise in June b4 I yank the old 327 out & freshen her. This car is stock. Right now, If I get on it hard at Op temp, it fills the overflow & tries to puke coolant from the overflow tank. I have done nothing to this motor yet. I noticed it had a fresh w/p on it when I got her about 6 months ago. It is totally stock; except a mild cam. Runs cool... I wonder if the previous owner put in a high flow HD pump??? it looks stock. It is probably the small 2 core rad; manual trans. Whatcha think?
    "I would walk through hell on Sunday before I fear the enemy"

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE curtisreed's Avatar
    Bad head gasket or cracked head or cracked cylinder. Been there.

Curtis

That does make sense Curtis; hope it is not a cracked cylinder though. I guess I will find out! It burns oil some; not seeing white smoke yet however. It is time to pull it I guess. Should be an easy deal- no P/S, A/C, w/manual trans, no emissions crap, it is awesome. Take hood off, Just a few bolts here & there, a few wires, it is out. I guess I better get busy. It is incredible how inexpensive it is to freshen up a 327 engine!! Biggest expense will be the heads. Got a fellow drag racer dude at work that is going to help me with things I am not sure about. I have never completely gone through an entire engine before on my own. I will probably be bugging you guys at 12AM on here a few nights. LOL! scooter

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE curtisreed's Avatar
    You gotta watch those drag racers. You start out boring it to a 331 and before you know it, it will turn in to a 454. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE lively's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by doorracer
    You gotta watch those drag racers. You start out boring it to a 331 and before you know it, it will turn in to a 454. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    and narrowed rearend/ladder bars/ cage ____))0000--IT NEVER STOPS :lol: :lol:

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheRabbit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by doorracer
    Yea, I started with a 454 and ended up with a dry sump 632 with NOS. Man "what was I thinking"?

Hope it's not to bad scooter.

LOL! I decided to keep this one a stock numbers matching car to retain the value. She is a virgin... Like that one good girlfriend you leave home on the weekends. I betcha we might be able to get her in the high 14's with a few minor mods.... a far cry from the fire-breathing beasts you guys saddle into.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar

Head gasket and worn guides - tired rings.
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898

dont take it to the track.stay away or you will be like one of use that got bit by the drag race bug..i started in a 15 second nova with a 307..and now i have a 10 second 92 camaro street car...lol

Change the Thermostat to a 160, and put a new 16/18 lb rad cap on it. If you don't have a blown/leaking head gasket, it should not be blowing water into the overflow tank if the cap is good.

JMO

Zip.