pcv valve

Old 05-11-2011, 09:21 PM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default pcv valve

im going to use a pcv valve setup on my 408 sbc. is there a real good one for hi-po engines, or are they all the same. thanks for advice art
Old 05-12-2011, 03:01 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Street engine or a racing engine?

Race engines do not use PCV valves. Oily air drawn in the intake from the crankcase in a racing engine is a bad thing and does not provide any crankcase vent at WOT when you need it the most for ring seal etc. Use a header evac vent or two large breathers, one on each valve cover would be better than a PCV in a racing engine.
If you are a street engine application then use a PCV with the highest spring pressure and smallest hole or restrict the hose inner diameter to prevent drawing in too much air volume, use a large breather on the opposite valve cover for street applications.
Bruce
Old 05-12-2011, 08:54 AM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default pcv

thanksa bruce. it is a street engine and i will need to use the pcv setup. any idea how i could locate the pcv you described (heaviest spring and smallest hole).any certian cars that you know of would call for a pcv like this one. just out of curiosity, why the heaviest spring and smallest hole? thanks art
Old 05-12-2011, 09:01 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

At least you didn't say PVC valve. lol
Old 05-12-2011, 09:46 AM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default pcv or pvc

hey rabbit i always make myself say pos crank vent before i write the initials pcv, or else a will write pvc, which i used to do all the time art
Old 05-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: pcv or pvc

Originally Posted by chevyart
hey rabbit i always make myself say pos crank vent before i write the initials pcv, or else a will write pvc, which i used to do all the time art

So true!!!!!! It's like I was a plumber in my past life or something... comes out of my mouth pvc every time no matter what.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:11 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: pcv or pvc

Originally Posted by Rigsby
Originally Posted by chevyart

So true!!!!!! It's like I was a plumber in my past life or something... comes out of my mouth pvc every time no matter what.
We've all done it quit a few times I'm sure. No matter how many times I hear it I still laugh.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:26 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Positively Ventilated Crankcase
Old 05-21-2011, 05:47 PM
nooblet327
SHOW GUEST

If you got long tube headers and good flowing exhaust setup use a crankcase evacuation kit or turn a smog pump into a crankcase vacuum or just stick some breathers on your valve covers. Contaminating your intake charge with hot blow by is just disgusting. And creating a vacuum in your crankcase lets them rings seal better lowering blow by and reduces the air resistance that the oil slinging off the crank loves to grab ahold of.