Thread: pcv valve

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

pcv valve

im going to use a pcv valve setup on my 408 sbc. is there a real good one for hi-po engines, or are they all the same. thanks for advice art

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR

Street engine or a racing engine?

Race engines do not use PCV valves. Oily air drawn in the intake from the crankcase in a racing engine is a bad thing and does not provide any crankcase vent at WOT when you need it the most for ring seal etc. Use a header evac vent or two large breathers, one on each valve cover would be better than a PCV in a racing engine.
    If you are a street engine application then use a PCV with the highest spring pressure and smallest hole or restrict the hose inner diameter to prevent drawing in too much air volume, use a large breather on the opposite valve cover for street applications.
    Bruce

pcv

thanksa bruce. it is a street engine and i will need to use the pcv setup. any idea how i could locate the pcv you described (heaviest spring and smallest hole).any certian cars that you know of would call for a pcv like this one. just out of curiosity, why the heaviest spring and smallest hole? thanks art

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheRabbit's Avatar
    At least you didn't say PVC valve. lol

pcv or pvc

hey rabbit i always make myself say pos crank vent before i write the initials pcv, or else a will write pvc, which i used to do all the time art

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Re: pcv or pvc

Quote Originally Posted by chevyart
    hey rabbit i always make myself say pos crank vent before i write the initials pcv, or else a will write pvc, which i used to do all the time art

So true!!!!!! It's like I was a plumber in my past life or something... comes out of my mouth pvc every time no matter what.
    "I would walk through hell on Sunday before I fear the enemy"

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheRabbit's Avatar

Re: pcv or pvc

Quote Originally Posted by Rigsby
    Quote Originally Posted by chevyart

So true!!!!!! It's like I was a plumber in my past life or something... comes out of my mouth pvc every time no matter what.
    We've all done it quit a few times I'm sure. No matter how many times I hear it I still laugh.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar
    Positively Ventilated Crankcase
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898

If you got long tube headers and good flowing exhaust setup use a crankcase evacuation kit or turn a smog pump into a crankcase vacuum or just stick some breathers on your valve covers. Contaminating your intake charge with hot blow by is just disgusting. And creating a vacuum in your crankcase lets them rings seal better lowering blow by and reduces the air resistance that the oil slinging off the crank loves to grab ahold of.