ring and pinion setup?

Old 04-11-2011, 02:07 PM
ejm
SENIOR BUILDER

Default ring and pinion setup?

on a gm 10.5 ring gear 14bolt full floater i got a new ring and pinion and the pinion has 2.224 on it can anyone tell me what shims i need i put it together without any and it is way loose
Old 04-13-2011, 04:59 PM
ejm
SENIOR BUILDER

no one has anything for me? you guys have always helped me out! thanks for anything you can give!
Old 04-13-2011, 05:38 PM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

Do you have a pinion depth gauge, if not then start with the old shims off the gears that was in there and check your hell to toe pattern. You should have a picture of it with new gears and go from there. The 2.223 is the depth from the center of the carrier bearings and the bottom of the pinion. Changing your side shims on the carrier will change your drive and coast patterns as well as your hell to toe. Hope this will help.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:00 PM
ejm
SENIOR BUILDER

the carrier has adjustable end in the housing that screw to the right or left on both bearings but its not enough and there were no shims in the old pinion? thats why im lost
Old 04-14-2011, 07:23 AM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

What size is the gear. If you dont have a pinion depth gauge then put the pinion in use a set of dial calipars and you are going to like this one but if you have some bushing or seal installer you can put them in place of carrier bearings, slide a peace of tubing threw the holes and mark the tube at the half way, and measure from bottom of the pinion and the middle of tube and that should get you close to your pinion depth and what shims to start with. I have not seen to many rears that did not have no pinion shims. Well good luck and let me know if this helps.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:16 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Don't know about the 10.5 ring gear rearend, but the other GM's start with a .015 pinion shim and most of the pinion gears are marked + or - from there. Ex. if the pinion is marked -.002 you need a .017 shim and Visa versa for a + marking. In the end it all comes down to contact patern, but that's the starting point.

JMO

Zip.