Getting Old

Old 02-27-2011, 02:39 AM
wlpatterson
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Getting Old

So I walk into Autozone looking for parts to rebuild a carb,The kid didnt have a clue as to what I needed.If you cant give him a P/N then your wasting time...He wasnt even born when cars were made with carbs...Now IM Feeling Old!!! LOL
Old 02-27-2011, 05:30 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

I know that feeling, I have been in the parts business almost 30 years and still hate going to an Autozone or Advanced for anything! Half the time I end up looking the part up for them!

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 02-27-2011, 06:44 AM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Hey you guy's think thats bad, We have a young tech that started about a year ago. Anyway the service writer gave him a 85 Dodge truck to tuneup and change oil in, He come's over to get me takes me over to the truck i am thinking he need's help he point's to the 2 bbl carter carb and say's what is that :!: :!:

Mark
Old 02-27-2011, 07:13 AM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

And i thougtt i was the only person that had this knock. went into az asked the counter kid for 3.5 power valve for holly carb, his reply was what year, and make of car. :lol:
Old 02-27-2011, 07:33 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Yeppers, I remember the days, not so long ago, when ANY good parts guy/gal could tell you the exact part number you were looking for and knew exactly where it was on the shelf or if it was a special order part. Those days are gone forever, gang. Another piece of disappearing Americana.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:14 PM
signsbyesa
RACING JUNKIE

i like NAPA, but last time i went to buy a starter rebuild kit,
the guy said, "whats that" :wink:
Old 02-27-2011, 04:35 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

My mother-in-law had a 1973 VW Beetle that she bought brand new. It basically went around the block once a week because her husband always drove his car everywhere. A little over a year ago her regular mechanic retired and she took the bug to the VW Dealership for tuneup and oil change. The car had 29,000 original miles. After they tuned the car and rebuilt the carburetor it took almost an eighth mile to get up to 35 mph. She bought a new Toyota and gave me the bug. The carb was junk, the valves were adjusted too tight and the timing was waaaaay off. The points were too wide and looked like they were adjusted with a hammer. The car was older than any of their mechanics and some had never seen a carb or points. If it doesn't have a computer or diagnostic connection, they are lost. ops:
Old 02-28-2011, 06:15 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

i sold parts for 25yrs. and i was damn good.or so i was told lol.bring me a odd brg. or whatever, if it was still available i could find it.i quit the counter in 99. my friend has been doing it for 39 yrs.i tried to help him a few weeks ago , on the counter when he had to leave the store for a few hrs. man i couldnt be a counterman nowdays. they got stuff on cars i dont even know what it is or what it does,our days are just memories for us today.i now know what a old gunslinger must have felt like in the early 1900s. we had our day in the sun. now its time to move over for the next gen.good or bad its here.thats why i love my old cars.when i get in one and im going down the blacktop its 1970s all over again for me.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:18 AM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by itsabird
And i thougtt i was the only person that had this knock. went into az asked the counter kid for 3.5 power valve for holly carb, his reply was what year, and make of car. :lol:
Been there. Told the young lady I needed some water pump gaskets for a v-8 chevy. She wanted to know what year. I told her 1977 truck would do. "Sir , I need to know the EXACT year, make and model" (Other 2 counter guys know me, they were glad to let her help me, lol). I said,"OK, I have a 78 Chevrolet LUV with a 428 cubic inch small block chevy...
After punching a few keys I got the blank stare...
Old 02-28-2011, 03:07 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Yep, good old parts guys are a thing of the past. NAPA ( No, Auto Parts Available, hee hee) guys are usually the best parts guys around here.

When I buy parts I always have to make up a year and model for them.
If I tell somebody I've got a 632 in an S10 they either don't pay attention or ask what did that come in? However, if I just say I have a 454 in a S10, I always get some kind of reply about it being a bas azz truck.

Do you every feel like your surrounded by idiots? lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -