Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question put metal plates on the floor of their trailer

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR bixblk's Avatar

question put metal plates on the floor of their trailer

Hey Guys
    Quick question, how do you feel about putting metal plates possibly diamond plate in a car trailer where the tires end up on the car to the floor. I twisted the tile on the floor of my trailer at the front and thought a piece of metal would work plus it sorta helps to guide/locate the car in the trailer. Any draw backs to it ?

Let me know
    Thanks Jeff

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Rear Tires:

And the golf car:

Thank you to all our sponsors:

Racetech Race Cars
    V's House of Horse Power
    Intensity Race Products
    Vickers Transmissions
    Abruzzi Converters
    J&J Engine Diapers

looks good

Looks good
    Any recomendations where to buy diamond plate or thickness
    Thanks Jeff

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR

If don't like your tires it is ok

If you want your slicks to have a snow tire pattern on about a foot of roll out diamond plate is for you, but you will have detrimental effects on traction with your tires if you park on a rough surface like diamond plate with your hot sticky tires. If you want to protect your floor, use smooth aluminum, flip the diamond plate over to protect your soft impressionable expensive tires. Diamond plate is good for ATV's and daily drivers with hard tires.
    Bruce

ok

Thanks I did not think of that, I do appreciate it

Bruce

I have had this set up on 3 or 4 trailers and 1 trailer complete diamond plate floor. Tires from Hoosier, Good Year and M/T. No ill effects on a dragster running 7.40's to 8.20's. No ill effect on a door car running mid-9's to 10.0's. Still get excellent life out of the tires. Curious if this is an opinion or if there is an article from one of the tire companies that would be worth reading about this?
    Thank you to all our sponsors:

Racetech Race Cars
    V's House of Horse Power
    Intensity Race Products
    Vickers Transmissions
    Abruzzi Converters
    J&J Engine Diapers

You can kinda see what I use, smooth alum in mine. Home Depot sells it in a small sheet for a decent price.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

ok

Thanks, I am sorta interested also in the above replies.Thanks for the home depot info, I may go today and see the choices, any problems with rust with the flat plates ?

recant

Sorry just noticed aluminum,my bad

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR

Not just an opinion

Quote Originally Posted by shawnp
    Bruce

I have had this set up on 3 or 4 trailers and 1 trailer complete diamond plate floor. Tires from Hoosier, Good Year and M/T. No ill effects on a dragster running 7.40's to 8.20's. No ill effect on a door car running mid-9's to 10.0's. Still get excellent life out of the tires. Curious if this is an opinion or if there is an article from one of the tire companies that would be worth reading about this?

No, not just my opinion. Pro stock does not even park there cars on there race tires period. They have travel shocks and tires. If you look at a tire like yours that have been on diamond plate you will see that the pattern is imprinted on the tire. If you are using your tires like comp eliminator and pro classes do at there power level you would be suffering traction problems because of that uneven pattern put in the tire in one spot, over a set that was respected when parked. I don't remove my tires on my car, but I do raise the car on air bags to lessen the load on the shocks and tires when I transport and hold the car off the ground at home when not racing to keep everything round and un stressed. I have observed this in pro racing since I have paid attention to such things. If you like the diamond plate and don't think it applies to you then I guess it is just fine for you, but I would never park my slicks on any uneven surface intentionally knowing what the big guys do and why if there was any chance it would hurt my slicks ability to work well.
    Bruce

11. Racing Junk