remote oil filters

Old 02-15-2011, 01:09 PM
pistonpopper
SHOW GUEST

Default remote oil filters

installing a remote oil filter on my malibu, and will be using -10 lines, but i my have to use 90 degree fittings off the filter adapter and on the filter housing. problem is i heard that the 90s will cause flow restriction and i dont want to fry the engine. any good or bad experiences on this?
Old 02-15-2011, 02:17 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default use only tube type fittings

use only the long radius bends and you will be fine. The ones that are problematic to flow are right angle drilled and do not have a bent tube between the hose end and the AN nut end. The drilled fittings cause eddy currents that slow the flow in the line. You should minimize the use of any sharp bends and angled fittings for optimum flow in any oil or fuel system alike. Two 90 degree elbows with gentle bends on your adapter is a common plumbing practice.
Bruce
Old 02-15-2011, 03:55 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default remote

Are you wanting to or have to use a remote? I have a 1980 BBC Malibu with a BBC and Hooker Super Competition headers and there is room for a regular filter without adding the expense and potential problems of a remote filter.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:12 PM
pistonpopper
SHOW GUEST

i run a 377 sbc, with hooker super comps. i cant run a full size filter with this set up, only a short version will fit .the filter is also awkward to get in place as the race car sits very low on the nose. i was hoping to install the filter on the firewall for easy access i probably would not buy the super comps again, as the rear pipes wrap around the frame, which can complicate a lot of issues. i have removed the original steering gear, and installed a mustang rack , and moved the master cyl under the floor which frees up room on the firewall. thank you for your interest
Old 02-16-2011, 02:47 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

USE THE SHORT K&N FILTER AND A FILTER WRENCH AND YOU WILL BE FINE.IF YOU WANT ALOT OF ROOM GET A SET OF LEMONS HEADERS FOR THAT G-BODY THE 3&5 TUBES GO AROUND THE FRAME AND THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM TO GET TO A LARGE FILTER,I USE THEM ON MY 86 SS MONTE CARLO WITH NO PROBLEM AT ALL.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:54 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: use only tube type fittings

Originally Posted by TopspeedLowet
use only the long radius bends and you will be fine. The ones that are problematic to flow are right angle drilled and do not have a bent tube between the hose end and the AN nut end. The drilled fittings cause eddy currents that slow the flow in the line. You should minimize the use of any sharp bends and angled fittings for optimum flow in any oil or fuel system alike. Two 90 degree elbows with gentle bends on your adapter is a common plumbing practice.
Bruce
Absolutely correct. Equivalent resistance length in pipe by fitting.

A 90 degree standard elbow is equal to 30 inches of straight line resistance.
A 45 degree standard elbow is equal to 16 inches of straight line resistance.
A 90 degree long radius elbow is equal to 20 inches of straight line resistance.
** A 90 degree square corner elbow (drilled) is equal to 57 inches of straight line resistance.