my lsx-454 sucks. lsx454 blows up! lsx block crack

Old 02-01-2011, 10:56 PM
prostreetbuyer
APPRENTICE

Default my lsx-454 sucks. lsx454 blows up! lsx block crack

Recently I was influenced to purchase a Chevrolet LSX-454 engine for my 2010 camaro based on information in print and in person from Dr. Jamie Meyer, the Product Integration Manager for GM Performance Parts.
Here is what influenced me (with web address’s as proof):

ONE: Dr Jamie Meyer of "GM" states in print that if you put a “power adder” on the lsx-454 you’d quickly create a 1300 hp street car.

MaxChevy Magazine Volume III, Issue 3, Page 52 Dr Jamie Meyer Interview “LSX 454... With a power adder on that, you’d be able to quickly create a 1,200 or 1,300 horsepower street car.” http://www.maxchevy.com/features/int...3-meyer-3.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TWO: Dr Jamie Meyer states “In Person” to Jannetty Racing Enterprises Inc (the shop I used for my automotive work) that its ok to put a “power adder” on the lsx-454 to make our 1150 horsepower goals.

Jannetty Racing Enterprises October 6-9 2010. LSX Shootout-O'Reilly Raceway Park - Indianapolis, Indiana.
Dr Jamie Meyer was personally asked by the owner of Jannetty Racing Enterprises Dr Meyer’s thoughts of using A LSX-454 with a “supercharger/power adder” to make only 1150 horsepower in my 2010 camaro.
Here is the quote from the owner of Jannetty Racing Enterprises: Last October at the LSX Shootout My Booth was directly across from the GMperformancparts Display where I had the Pleasure of Meeting and talking with all of the guys over there one of them being Dr. Jamie Meyer, whom I ran this Idea past, ( I have to respect the man and his Position in the Industry) While we stood over the LSX454 Crate engine on display we discussed our Idea, He was All for it, and stated it would make a Great 12-1300 HP Street Car, and I should let him know how it worked out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THREE: 2011 GM Performance Parts Catalog.
2nd To The Last Page:
“Because our new LSX blocks take the LS-series to the extreme, It’s engineered to take over 2000 horsepower”.

Here is a sampling of more references in the GM performance parts catalog:
Second Page, Not Page Two: “A bomb-proof LSX block”
Page 186: Lsx Block Max Horsepower Rating 1500+
Page 192: “1700 horsepower turbo engine for an Outlaw drag racer, the LSX Bowtie Block is the foundation”
Page 213: LSX-454 Pistons “dependable performance, even with high boost (high boost is a power adder)”
2nd To The Last Page: “Because our new LSX blocks take the LS-series to the extreme, It’s engineered to take over 2000 horsepower”.

Here is the link to the 2011 GM Performance Catalog:
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_r...talog_2010.pdf
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOUR: “Magazine Article Written By Dr. Jamie Meyer” SuperChevy May-2007:
For those interested in big nitrous systems, large superchargers, or twin turbocharging, the LSX is the block for you. (Note: these are power adders) http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...ild/index.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up to this point I have:
(1) Dr. Jamie Meyer in a magazine article saying adding a “power adder“, 1300 horsepower can be quickly achieved.
(2) Dr Jamie Meyer personally telling the automotive shop that worked on my camaro that a “power adder” on my motor to make 1300 hp and is a good plan.
(3) 2011 GM Performance Parts Catalog stating the lsx block is strong enough to handle over 2000 hp.
(4) 2011 gm performance catalog has many references about the LSX-454 block being able to handle 1500 plus to 2050 horsepower.
(5) Magazine Article Written By Dr. Jamie Meyer endorsing “power adders“.
(6) After all of this research, a reasonable person can assume its safe to make only a relatively small 1048 Horsepower which is approximately ½ of Gm’s horsepower claim.

FIVE: I purchased the engine and the lsx-454 is received by Jannetty Racing Enterprises, one of the most respected automotive shops on the east coast. The engine is installed in my 2010 camaro. The camaro is loaded on a scientific measuring and monitoring device call a dynamometer for final tuning. On the dynamometer the engine makes 1148 horsepower (½ of the “GM performance parts” catalog claims of over 2000 horsepower.
The lsx-454 block experienced a catastrophic crack at only 1048 horsepower! The engine’s life span was only minutes!

SIX: Mr. Dee Turner of GM calls to inform me that I voided the warranty by putting a “power adder” on the engine. I told him that the “power adder” was sanctioned by the big boss, Dr Jamie Meyer verbally and in print.
Even if this engine never had a warranty, it should be replaced because of an obvious defect.
The engine is clearly defective because “GM performance parts” catalog clearly states on the 2nd to the last page: “Because our new LSX blocks take the LS-series to the extreme, It’s engineered to take over 2000 horsepower”. My engine broke at half of this “over 2000 horsepower” claim!

How can I denied reimbursement? THIS IS NOT A WARRENTY CLAIM, My claim is the engine block was defective. Even if this engine never had a warranty, it should be replaced because of an obvious defect.

At the very least this is a defective engine block because of its inability to survive at only 50% of the advertised claims of Dr Jamie Meyer and GM . At worst, this engine has been misrepresented by Dr Jamie Meyer and GM .

Old 02-02-2011, 06:06 AM
prowagon55
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

I went through similar circumstances myself about 3-4 years ago with a new 14-1 406 race motor for my 56 Chevy. The foundation of my setup was a World Products block which failed and had an obvious defect. The block cracked after 30 minutes of run time. Was pretty much told by Mitchell TFB!! No warranty. My sponsor suggested getting the block sonic tested which cost me another $100.00 but said it might reveal what caused the problem. Damn glad i did. It showed serious core shift in the block. Basically the metal in the bore that cracked was pretty much paper thin. Did some on line homework and word of mouth and found many people had run in to the same problem we had. We presented our evidence to Mitchell and they finally said there was an entire lot of defective blocks. I got a refund and got me a dart block. I know how you feel, and its not good. I stood in that same position 4 years ago. Fortunately for me i was able to resolve my problem with minimal costs.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 AM
prostreetbuyer
APPRENTICE

my block will be sonic tested soon.
although my race car shop took a measurement of the wall thickness of the piece that blew out and it varied from .250 to .185 in just 1 inch diameter of material!
Old 11-24-2013, 06:43 AM
prostreetbuyer
APPRENTICE

what junk!
sonic test showed core shift with thin cylinder walls