Thread: SBC spun cam bearing

Junior Member SHOW GUEST

SBC spun cam bearing

I have a sbc 350 engine that is currently set up to run mid 12's it lost a little oil pressure the last time it was ran so we pulled it apart and found out that it has spun a cam bearing. My question is can this be fixed? the block has had a lot of machine work done to it and everything looks good except for the cam bearing problem.

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER

Re: SBC spun cam bearing

Quote Originally Posted by rusty40
    I have a sbc 350 engine that is currently set up to run mid 12's it lost a little oil pressure the last time it was ran so we pulled it apart and found out that it has spun a cam bearing. My question is can this be fixed? the block has had a lot of machine work done to it and everything looks good except for the cam bearing problem.
    We have machined a lot of cam tunnels on OEM blocks because of misalignment issues spun cam barings ETC.

They offer over size cam bearings up to .040 over on the housing bore ID

Which cam bearings Clevite???????
    WWW.CNCBLOCKSNE.COM
    IS A DIVISION OF
    HINKSON AUTOMOTIVE
    RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT

CARL HINKSON 207-892-7215
    EMAIL [email protected]

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Re: SBC spun cam bearing

yes it can. which cam bearing spun?

Junior Member SHOW GUEST
    I would have to look to make sure but I think it is the # 3 bearing and yes we were using Clevite bearings.
    What bearings would you recomend to go back with?

I would have to look to make sure but I think it is the # 3 bearing and yes we were using Clevite bearings.
    Clevite performance cam bearings 1349 you should stay away from.

We keep the ACL .010 over bearing P/N 5C004AS-STD on the shelf we like them over the Babbit bearings, You can also go with the Durabond performance cam bearings as well.

Good luck
    WWW.CNCBLOCKSNE.COM
    IS A DIVISION OF
    HINKSON AUTOMOTIVE
    RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT

EMAIL [email protected]

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Quote Originally Posted by hink
    Clevite performance cam bearings 1349 you should stay away from.

We keep the ACL .010 over bearing P/N 5C004AS-STD on the shelf we like them over the Babbit bearings, You can also go with the Durabond performance cam bearings as well.

Good luck
    2nd that :wink:

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE oldandtired's Avatar
    Since you have to pay for the set up and boring job, why not spring for the roller bearings?
    Dave
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/343797
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by oldandtired
    Since you have to pay for the set up and boring job, why not spring for the roller bearings?
    Going the roller bearing with a 2.250 cam tunnel is really no gain as your using a STD. jouranl cam at that size and going to a 55MM roller cam bearing will most likely get you into the water jacket when reqrooving the oil grooves behind the cam bearings.

The more common size we do on the OEM blocks is go to the BBC cam tunnel which is .021 smaller then the 50MM cam journal and there is more power to be made with a babbit bearing over using roller cam bearings.
    WWW.CNCBLOCKSNE.COM
    IS A DIVISION OF
    HINKSON AUTOMOTIVE
    RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT

EMAIL [email protected]