NHRA in Big cucu

Old 01-22-2011, 12:02 PM
superstreeter
SENIOR BUILDER

Default NHRA in Big cucu

So I hear the NHRA is in big trouble with the IRS, were will the racers go now ??
Old 01-22-2011, 12:43 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

IHRA/ OUTLAW TRACKS/ OLDER MOM AND POP TRACKS--YOU KNOW THE KIND OF TRACKS THAT MAKE YOU FEEL WELCOME :lol: :lol:
Old 01-22-2011, 01:58 PM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by lively
IHRA/ OUTLAW TRACKS/ OLDER MOM AND POP TRACKS--YOU KNOW THE KIND OF TRACKS THAT MAKE YOU FEEL WELCOME :lol: :lol:
is there any other kind? nhra has become nothing but a tv show.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:23 PM
instagators84
APPRENTICE

Will still go to the same track, just wont be NHRA sanction.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:06 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

The little track i go to is IHRA :!: Only bristol dragway here is NHRA :!:

Mark
Old 01-22-2011, 03:32 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

the track i go to just sold--do not know the new owners yet--find out Sunday--COLES COUNTY DRAGSTRIP--IT IS AN OLD TRACK[1/8 MILE]
BUT--ALOT OF FUN :lol: :lol:
Old 01-22-2011, 08:18 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by lively
AMEN LIVELY !!!!

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 01-22-2011, 08:39 PM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

Ummm.... I race local outlaw tracks, but I thought NHRA bought IHRA a few years back...
Old 01-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Pdmracing
CRAFTSMAN

By The Associated Press
A political action committee looking to replace the BCS bowl system with a playoff filed a complaint with the IRS last year, claiming three bowls were in violation of their tax-exempt status.

Now the National Hot Rod Association is facing a similar accusation, though not from a political group.

It's from one of the organization's members.

A longtime NHRA member filed an anonymous complaint with the IRS, claiming the drag racing organization has been operating more like a commercial business instead of furthering the sport and serving the 80,000-or-so members it represents as a nonprofit group.

"It appears to be operated for the benefit of those who run the show, much the way a business is operated for the people who own the business," said Marcus S. Owens, senior member of the law firm Caplin and Drysdale, which filed the complaint.

The complaint compares the NHRA to NASCAR and the International Hot Rod Association, both for-profit auto racing organizations.

Hand-delivered on Jan. 12 in Washington, D.C., it contends the majority of the NHRA's revenue - roughly $122 million in 2008 - is derived from nontraditional sources for a trade association.

Instead of representing the sport in Congress and before the government, the complaint argues the NHRA puts most of its focus on holding public, televised events - in other words, races.

It also maintains that compensation for the organization's management is out of whack with heads of similar tax-exempt associations.

That includes a salary of $771,632 for president Thomas Compton in 2008 and $319,073 for one hour of work per week for board chairman Dallas Gardner, which the complaint says is well beyond industry standards.

The complaint also contends the NHRA is run by a select group of individuals rather than its members, which don't have voting rights.

The NHRA denied it operates as a for-profit business and has been compliant under section 501(c)(6) of the Internal Revenue code for years.

"NHRA was granted exempt status by the IRS decades ago and has operated accordingly ever since," the NHRA said in a statement