View Poll Results: All other factors the same, carbs generally make more top end power.
Yes, they do.
25.00%
No, they don't.
75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

EFI vs. Carb comparison. Wow did I take a bashing!

Old 01-22-2011, 11:26 AM
alambert
SHOW GUEST

Default EFI vs. Carb comparison. Wow did I take a bashing!

I posted the following on an EFI forum not long ago. I knew I was going to take a bashing, but did it anyway. I would like to know what you guys think. Here is the cut/paste (my findings only!) from that forum:

EFI vs. Carb comparison
« on: November 08, 2010, 08:46:47 AM »

I've been testing/tuning with an AEM 1401 in my 1994 Mustang all this summer, with good results. It's a 408W, solid lift cam, super victor intake, forged internals, etc. Got a good handle on how the software works, but it's been a struggle. The car makes good power, is reliable and idles nicely. Spark plugs look perfect. Never had (and never will) the car on a dyno or down the track to gain any substantial numbers because this is a "summer only" street driven car.

It took about 20 minutes to install an 850 Holley carburetor and change the spring in the regulator. Another 20 minutes to test/tune. "Seat of the pants" testing showed an obvious increase in power with no other modifications!

The car is still reliable and idles nicely.

Maybe I'm comparing apple to oranges here, but the "upgrade" to the carb made the EFI setup look sick. My opinion is that if you got your EFI setup tuned 100% perfectly, you would still only make as much power as the carb. For reliability and driveability, maybe go with the EFI. But for power, carb all the way!

Thoughts?
Old 01-22-2011, 09:39 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

i would say that one of two things happened here
1. you didnt have the efi set up right (calibrated)
2.wrong set up for your motor combo
just my opinion
Old 01-23-2011, 04:42 AM
alambert
SHOW GUEST

dragonmaster093,

You could be right. I'm still tuning and will never stop.

I feel this is due to the restrictive airflow path. On my EFI Mustang, airflow is channeled first thru a 90 degree elbow, throttle body, another 90 degree elbow, MAP, straight 4" pipe, another elbow to the fenderwell. It's like sucking air through a crazy straw! cheesy

or

a carb.

JMO