Welding an aluminum head...

Old 01-14-2011, 04:33 AM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Welding an aluminum head...

I was asked the other day about welding an aluminum head. Yes, I know it can be done. But what about the entire deck surface if it has been cut alot. I'm not sure so I thought I would ask the Professionals.

TS1955
Old 01-14-2011, 06:09 AM
qiksix
CRAFTSMAN

Yes it can be done I welded a few old 6cyl. Jag heads for restorers. Depending what it is might not be worth the $$ and trouble by the time spent and rehardening etc. if needed.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:55 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

If you're talking like .050, you can get copper gaskets up to atleast .120 tk, this might be an option welding the entire deck surface wiuld be a lot of trouble and expensive.

JMO

Zip.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:48 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
If you're talking like .050, you can get copper gaskets up to atleast .120 tk, this might be an option welding the entire deck surface wiuld be a lot of trouble and expensive.

JMO

Zip.
Exactly correct. The Comstic MLS (multi layer steel) gaskets are exactly what you need. Just calculate your volumns and play with gasket thickness to get the CR you want.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:32 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

We repair aluminum heads all the time, i dont understand what exactly you are asking for?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:58 AM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by kwkracing
We repair aluminum heads all the time, i dont understand what exactly you are asking for?
The question is...Can the deck surface of an aluminum head be welded back up after being cut several times?

TS1955
Old 01-15-2011, 07:01 AM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by oldandtired
Originally Posted by zipper06

JMO

Zip.
Exactly correct. The Comstic MLS (multi layer steel) gaskets are exactly what you need. Just calculate your volumns and play with gasket thickness to get the CR you want.
I know you can use a thicker gasket, but I was just curious if welding that much of a head can be done successfully.

TS1955
Old 01-15-2011, 07:26 AM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

It can be done. Some of the foreign restorers use the method to restore heads that are no longer available. It is a long and expensive process. A lot of manhours to build it up and then it is just milled to the original specs. The cometic gaskets will save you alot of money and will have the same performance. I have used cometic gaskets and they were recommended by an experienced builder that builds alot on nitrous engines. The main thing with them is that the head and block must be milled flat for best results. You can try this site:
http://www.aluminumheads.com/