A Baltimore, Maryland High Roller's False Promise

Old 01-04-2011, 05:54 PM
weatherman
SHOW GUEST

Default A Baltimore, Maryland High Roller's False Promise

I just wanted to pass along some information that could prevent some frustration for all you race car sellers out there. I placed an ad to sell my ride and received a phone call from an individual that resides in Baltimore, Maryland. I returned his phone call and discussed the car in more detail. We then began to communicate via email and agreed upon a price and I followed up with a phone call to get the verbal agreement that he would make the purchase. Funny though, each time I would call him I would have to refresh his memory about who I was, what car I had, how fast it was, and what was under the hood; this happened many times. He never made an effort to call me after first contact, I always did. Anyway, we finally settled on a price and he said that he would send a cashier's check and that I should make arrangements to ensure that someone remained home to collect the check. Optimistic to hand the money to my wife, we canceled a couple of road trips during the Christmas holiday break so that the check would not be missed, and after I called him and he reassured me the check was in the mail, I took the car off of RacingJunk. Once the deal was struck he became very difficult to contact by phone or email. After 5 business days I began to worry for his money since he had everything to lose. I began calling him from other phone numbers with different area codes and I had no problem talking to him. Each time he reassured me that the money was already in the mail. I thought since the eastern seaboard experienced a 20" snow event the mail might be running behind so I would give him more time. Each day I would email him to let him know that the check had not arrived via email and leave a message on his cell phone. Finally after the 5th (10th total) business day I placed my car back in RacingJunk for sale again. I then emailed him and let him know that this was the final email he would receive until the check arrived so that I would not continue bothering him since he did not seem to be worried at all that his money was somewhere. I then followed up with a phone call (roughly an hour later) to leave him a message to the tune of the same thing, except that he answered this time. I told him that his check had not arrived and then he immediately let me know that he noticed my car was back in RacingJunk for sell. I said yes that it was my wife's idea and his instant reply was, "Okay, you listen to her then. Bye!" I did not attempt to call him back.
Let's go over few things that could have prevented this disappointment. First, usually the buyer should be the aggressive person in the party, not the seller. If I wanted to buy a race car I really wanted I would be calling all the time. Second, the things this guy told me and how he told me should have raised a red flag (and it did but I ignored them). Every time I called he acted as though he never met me and had no idea what I calling about. His typing skills were exponentially sub-par and they were all in CAPS. Third, hypocritically speaking as a highly religious man that he claimed to be, he kept saying the N-word anytime he thought someone was knocking his intelligence. I should have questioned his way of speaking at that point but couldn't chance losing the money by my hand. Fourth, he never contacted me within RacingJunk.com so that kept him under the radar until now, and how did he know within a short period of time that I put my car back in RacingJunk? He must surf the website and calls people for kicks. The way he responded, then hung up reinforced to me that there was no check in the mail. I finally paid for a background check to see if this guy was for real or an alias. According to the state of Maryland, this guy has been in court multiple times and fraud was mentioned under several charges.

Here he is: Jesse McClain Jr.; cell # 443-467-5451; Email: [email protected]

Avoid this guy if he calls you.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Never remove a listing till a check is in hand. Thank goodness the only thing you lost was just time!
I think the couple of times you called him and had to refresh his memory would have popped up some red flags.

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 01-05-2011, 01:03 PM
wvhippie
MASTER BUILDER

Thanks for the heads up. Same guy has contacted me about my 57.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:20 AM
weatherman
SHOW GUEST

Default The Baltimore Shopper

Yeah, I figured he was out window shopping. This guy makes tire kickers welcome. Blatant promises that he is buying, over and over. Good luck tracking his IP address since he uses the Baltimore library as an internet source. He has a floating IP address because of that. I hope he gets word that his past time is now uncovered.

Ask him if he ever bought that tube chassis 69 camaro from Texas if you hear from him.

Glad to know I am I doing a little good from my experience. From now on, the car is on the market until all funds have transferred and are clear.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:18 PM
barneyrubble
SHOW GUEST

Default another one

called me yesterday, i asked him about this notice and he said "never could get a price". I told me his bank name and contact person and the payment was being made today. Called the bank and contact person and they said its "false information". I kind off want to tell him I received the money, that should screw with his head. His email was "swear to god Ill pay you today, god bless"

Ill chalk it up to entertainment.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:39 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

I would tell him its all good and let him travel to you to get the car, when he gets there just say "sorry", a time or two of having that happen, costing him time, money, fuel, etc. and I bet he quits dicking with people :!:

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 04-04-2011, 06:07 AM
em5427
SHOW GUEST

Default jesse mcclain

This guy contacted me about my camaro ,said he would send money and after check cleared he would send more money to ship the car to him since he couldnt come down to get it.
Anyone who is going to make a substancial purchase on a race car and not come down and look at it and go to the track and actualy see the car run is either stupid or a fraud.He made it a practice of using the Lords name and all caps in his e-mails.
I told him fine when you send the check send me a copy of your drivers license and a bank statment . I dont know what this guy gets out of this but I got on google and pulled up his home,it is a low rent housing project.
So far no check.guess he changed his mind
Old 09-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Sean1664
SHOW GUEST

Default no shit he has a check on its way for mine 69 camaro

i had a feeling it was bs thats why i came on the forum and searched his name.same thing ends everything with god bless and what threw me was the hi roller would say i will go check out your email at the libary.said he was a contractor.yeah a hi roller bying a complete racing operation and doesnt have internet.not sure why he bothers wasting peoples time as my shit wasnt about to leave my proerty till the check cleared.also beware because he asked if the car was in the trailer and when i said no its safe in my garage he sounded let down.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:21 AM
STREETMETAL
SHOW GUEST

Default Re: no s he has a check on its way for mine 69 camaro

Originally Posted by Sean1664
i had a feeling it was bs thats why i came on the forum and searched his name.same thing ends everything with god bless and what threw me was the hi roller would say i will go check out your email at the libary.said he was a contractor.yeah a hi roller bying a complete racing operation and doesnt have internet.not sure why he bothers wasting peoples time as my s wasnt about to leave my proerty till the check cleared.also beware because he asked if the car was in the trailer and when i said no its safe in my garage he sounded let down.
Sean,

Paul is on his way to take a look,

the best way for a large transaction is either cash or wire transfer. kind of not easy to carry cash, so Wire Transfers can be done in a few hours, can be verified by your bank that the money is in the account...safe for both parties....takes a few hours but cant bounce like a check can
Rob
Old 12-31-2011, 07:29 AM
ttoracing
SHOW GUEST

This guy is currently "sending a check" for a motorhome from me. I'm glad I found this information...I'm not sure why he does this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -