Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: ideas

  1. #1

    ideas

    my s-10 has a 350 in it now i bought this truck with this motor in it and from day one it would fly one day and the next be just a turd no pop no crack its like its not getting full throtle i know it may be to much carb but!!! it has been doing this since the second day i got it home
    it had a adt. plate and a 750 edlbrock carb.& headers i was told 488 lift cam
    it sounds bigger but who knows as we all know adt.plates suck i had a left over torker 2 intake and a 750 demon so i put them on it now it's worse i cant find any vac. leaks i am thinking flat cam and i know my spelling sucks if you help me with ideas you can make all the fun of me you like lol

  2. #2
    Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    496
    Did you check your throttle linkage to see if has moved,maybe dist.came loose and timing has retarded,check more than just the motor,could be trans,converter..eyc..etc..

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JEFF69Z28
    Did you check your throttle linkage to see if has moved,maybe dist.came loose and timing has retarded,check more than just the motor,could be trans,converter..eyc..etc..
    yes i have full throttle
    the timing is another oddity when i put the dist. in i made sure 1 was at tdc
    i can reterd to fall off but it will not adv. to fall off which would make me think it was out 1 or 2 teath on the cam but i know its not now it has not been right since i have had it all these parts made no change and now it snezzes out the carb @3000 rpm
    give or take 100 rpm like it is lean on the carb or maybe a vac.leak or i am thinking bad cam it has a flat tappet cam in it how can the stall cause my trouble can you explain it to me thank you for the help

  4. #4
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE fla1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,530
    It sounds like you are a tooth off on the distributor. You should be able to advance the distributor past TDC.

  5. #5
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE mopar1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Abingdon,Virginia
    Posts
    3,579
    I agree with fla76 sound's like you need to advance the dist a tooth :!:
    Head's up the true drag race!!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar1968
    I agree with fla76 sound's like you need to advance the dist a tooth :!:
    bad timing chian

  7. #7
    Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    267
    Disconnect power to distributor, take valve covers off, use remote start button or have friend hold the start button, and watch each one of the rocker arms in action. (take spark plugs out so motor turns over faster and easier on the starter) Check slop on any and all of the rockers with both valves closed on compression stroke as soon as intake valve is completely closed.
    Even if you don't find any loose rockers from exessive lobe wear (if previous owner tightened it down before selling to you), you should be able to see if one or more are not travelling as much as others. If you have access to dial indicator and magnetic holder better yet to actually measure valve travel without having to tear motor apart to pull cam to see.
    I also agree possibly a bad timing chain issue... but of course make sure your distributor rotor is right on with #1 cylinder with both valves closed on the compression stroke. Watch the intake valve closely when lining up your harmonic balancer mark to the pointer to make sure you are not 180* out of sync but actually on the compression stroke. With spark plugs out you should be able to turn crankshaft by hand to get it right on to #1.
    I'm not hatin... I'm just sayin...

  8. #8
    Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    496
    also might be wiped cam

  9. #9
    Junior Member APPRENTICE
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    16

    Re: ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by rockbuggy1
    my s-10 has a 350 in it now i bought this truck with this motor in it and from day one it would fly one day and the next be just a turd no pop no crack its like its not getting full throtle i know it may be to much carb but!!! it has been doing this since the second day i got it home
    it had a adt. plate and a 750 edlbrock carb.& headers i was told 488 lift cam
    it sounds bigger but who knows as we all know adt.plates suck i had a left over torker 2 intake and a 750 demon so i put them on it now it's worse i cant find any vac. leaks i am thinking flat cam and i know my spelling sucks if you help me with ideas you can make all the fun of me you like lol
    o.k. sounds like a bad bog for sure. so if it runs really good one time and not the next, this takes all the internal damaged cams, lifters, timing components and rocker arms out of the hunt.

    I would say check the total timing, it should be checked @ 5000 rpm for total timing. this being said anywhere from 34-40 total timing would be normal for compression ratio's from 10:1 to 15:1 with proper fuel.

    also, your mechanical advance system could be not working. so pop the cap and make sure the rotor will move back and fourth smoothly

    2nd thing is the carb it could just be to big or your excellerator pump not working and you then have a big bog and then the engine takes off after some pumping action with your foot! check the total timing?

  10. Racing Junk


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright © 2005-2016 RacingJunk.com All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the RacingJunk.com
Terms of Use, Classifieds Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, and Cookie Policy