Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scam or not.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE fla1976's Avatar

Scam or not.

Need some input. Is PayPal a safe method to sell on Craigs List? Here is the email I received.
    Hi thanks for mailing, i am a marine engineer, i am at sea right now.
    i am buying this for my personal use so am willing to offer you the amount you required. I can only pay through PayPal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online(i don't have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my PayPal account, and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay,all i will need is your PayPal email address to make the payment, and if you don't have a PayPal account yet, you can set one up at www.paypal.com it cant take you less than 3mins to do that, i will be expecting your PayPal email so l can pay. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payment has been sorted. l will be waiting for your reply asap.
    plz include your final price for the listing

Moderator RACING JUNKIE Harbone's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    SCAM!!! I have received that same form of email god knows how many times on my Craigslist ads, if you reply "cash and carry only" you never hear from them again!
    Chris

As close to "Normal" as I can get...

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    What is the scam? A person must have your email address to paypal the money to you so that part sounds correct. What is their "angle"?

Blog Entries
    look at the wording, who uses that kind of terminology like "pickup agent", I have gotten that email with almost word for word before from 5 or 6 different email address's. sometimes the link will take you to a fake paypal site so they can get your bank info. just reply to it and see what happens.
    Chris

Blog Entries
    they will also post a payment, wait till they receive the goods and then file a claim, paypal gives them their money back, they close the account leaving you with no way to get any money back or legal action.
    Chris

Member CRAFTSMAN

using paypal

When I sell something and use paypal I ask for there E-mail and send them a bill (using paypal) for the price that we agreed on, then you know that they are serious about your parts or just want your E-mail for fraud or a scam, Thanks Ron612

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE mopar1968's Avatar
    It's a scam i also have recieved the same e-mail :!: Anyone that sell's would know this :!: :!:

JMO Mark
    Head's up the true drag race!!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Wasn't doubting you that it was a scam just wondered what they did if you "took the bait"

I would never click on a link like that. Got my ebay account hacked falling for that once. live and learn.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE fla1976's Avatar
    Wrote him back, Said "Sorry, cash only."

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE mopar1968's Avatar
    That's good thinking on your part, Would hate to see you loose anything :!:
    Head's up the true drag race!!