Any one have experiences with Gilmer drives?

Old 12-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Incognegro
DYNO TECH

Default Any one have experiences with Gilmer drives?

I purchased a Gilmer drive set up for my motor and will be running only a water pump and alternator. I have my alternator located at the drivers side upper portion of the motor, but the gilmer kit and belt is for it located at the lower end of the motor. The question i have is can I run a longer belt and leave the alternator up top? Or does this distance seem to be a bit of a stretch for that type of set up?
Old 12-24-2010, 02:33 PM
superstreeter
SENIOR BUILDER

Uhhhhhhhhhhh, thats going to be a pretty long belt, any chance of movin that alt. any closer ?
Old 12-25-2010, 06:05 AM
Incognegro
DYNO TECH

Originally Posted by superstreeter
Uhhhhhhhhhhh, thats going to be a pretty long belt, any chance of movin that alt. any closer ?
I know it long. thats why i was asking if anyone had any experiences with these set ups and if the distance is too far to work right.. I could get a new bracket to move it closer I suppose.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:19 AM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

You might be able to use an idler pulley to take up some slack, Burt closer is probably better.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:09 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Not a problem on the belt stretch

Although the longer belt will be expensive, there will be no stretch issues what so ever concerning the belt length due to your high mounting position. Your alignment or squareness on the alt to the water pump and drive pulley is critical on gilmer type belts to keep them on there pulleys. Do not tighten it like a V belt. I run them with just enough tension to keep them on the pulleys and not much more, however the longer the distance between pulleys the tighter you may have to have it to keep it running smooth. A one inch wide belt would be plenty to turn your water pump and alt. Looks like you are set up for a blower belt, should be plenty strong.
Bruce
Old 12-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Incognegro
DYNO TECH

Default Re: Not a problem on the belt stretch

Originally Posted by TopspeedLowet
Although the longer belt will be expensive, there will be no stretch issues what so ever concerning the belt length due to your high mounting position. Your alignment or squareness on the alt to the water pump and drive pulley is critical on gilmer type belts to keep them on there pulleys. Do not tighten it like a V belt. I run them with just enough tension to keep them on the pulleys and not much more, however the longer the distance between pulleys the tighter you may have to have it to keep it running smooth. A one inch wide belt would be plenty to turn your water pump and alt. Looks like you are set up for a blower belt, should be plenty strong.
Bruce
The belt i have is a 1 1/2" belt. So you think it woulc be no problem running it the way it is with a longer belt? Ill give it a shot, worst that could happen is the belt could throw and chew up the pulleys. lol
Old 12-25-2010, 01:47 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by Julianthe3rd
Bruce
The belt i have is a 1 1/2" belt. So you think it woulc be no problem running it the way it is with a longer belt? Ill give it a shot, worst that could happen is the belt could throw and chew up the pulleys. lol
Your wider belt will look better than a one inch one would with that distance. Remember not to get tighten happy on the belt and you will have no problem. Watch the belt alignment as I mentioned previously and you will be set for good.
Bruce
Old 12-25-2010, 01:48 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by Julianthe3rd
Bruce

Your wider belt will look better than a one inch one would with that distance. Remember not to get tighten happy on the belt and you will have no problem. Watch the belt alignment as I mentioned previously and you will be set for good.
Bruce
Old 12-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Incognegro
DYNO TECH

Thank you sir for your input, Ill give it a shot. I used to have a procharger with a cog drive on my Nissan and I did notice you did not have to tighten it much. However alignment was CRITICAL as you pointed out, at one point my main bracket got tweaked a bit and i was chewing up belts left and right..Might have been off a 64th of an inch, but it would kill belts.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Incognegro
DYNO TECH

I was thinking of switching to this bracket, might work better.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SME-2005/?rtype=10

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -