Question of the day on paint

Old 12-22-2010, 08:42 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Question of the day on paint

O'k i know this is the wrong spot for this, but more people look at this section than the body work section. Long story short my Vette was parked at my friends shop for almost 1 1/2 yrs (chasing electronical problems), outside no protection and the paint/clearcoat went to crap. i can't afford $2000.00 to repaint and i want to reclaim the paint that's on the car, IS IT POSSIBLE???

Zip.

Pics below

Old 12-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

if the clear is completely gone and down to the basecoat red, probably not. its hard to scuff the red again to make the clear stick and not mess it all up. if you can find a good body guy he may able to just spray the top and blend it in but that paint looks pretty faded. GM clearcoat cars from that era all had the same problem.

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 12-22-2010, 02:08 PM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default clear coat issues

I had a 1986 black camaro, I bought new it in 86 in 1990, The clear coat started to turn whitish (at first) I took it to a body shop (buddy of mine), he told me GM had trouble and call them. I spoke to 10 different folks over the course of 3 months. The last guy looked at it and told me I would get 1500.00 in the "spirit of customer satisfaction". To get the car resprayed. I was to get ther check in 6 to 8 weeks. Eight weeks passed I called GM and could not get a hold of the gentleman that gave me the settlement price, along with a reference number. I did get another person and they told me that he no longer worked for GM and any settlements he offered was no good because he was not authorized to give it. I told them that it maybe a legal issue and the lady at GM told me to "do what ever you need to do, that is our stance". I have not bought another new GM car. What a shame ?????
Jeff
Old 12-22-2010, 02:14 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

A friend of mine had the same thing happen to an 87 suburban....gm repainted it free of charge.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I had a 1990 corsica that all the clear came off like that. My dad has a 2000 cavalier that is doing the exact same thing right now.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:00 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

IF you were to TRY to use what you have, it just wouldn't be worth the time as it all needs to come off and start over from the primer out. To save the factory base, ALL of the clear has to be removed without disturbing the base. Next to impossible.....
Start sanding one panel at a time, as time allows, primer seal it, then move on to the next when you can.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:06 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD

IF you were to TRY to use what you have, it just wouldn't be worth the time as it all needs to come off and start over from the primer out. To save the factory base, ALL of the clear has to be removed without disturbing the base. Next to impossible.....
Start sanding one panel at a time, as time allows, primer seal it, then move on to the next when you can.
It is a 1990 model, so the paint is atleast 20 yrs. old.

I've 2 friends that restore old cars and trucks within 7 miles of me and they do 2 or 3 a yr. each,one has 4 cars going right now and the other has 2 going, and they both said the same thing, not savable. But the car is borderline on what it's worth and the paint alone would be about $800.00. I could do all the labor and either one would spray it for next to nothing. I'm trying something and i spent 2 hrs on 1/2 of the rear bumper and it's o'k at 20 foot, but it's so dogone cold here i'm having trouble getting it to dry. I don't have heat in my shop (heck it's supposed to be 60 degrees not 20 degrees that it's been, hell i got Orange trees not heaters.
I'll take a pic tomorrow to show what it looks like.

Zip.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:47 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

hey zip theres a paint supply store in abingdon va that a buddy of mine got everything to paint his camaro (vw blue) but for everything $300

him and his dad sprayed in their 2 car garage and looks like a pro did it
Old 12-22-2010, 07:31 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

You talking about Danny by chance :?: :?:
Old 12-22-2010, 07:49 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

mark you want painter or where they got paint

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -