Thread: Transmission Suggestions

Junior Member SHOW GUEST

Transmission Suggestions

Hello. I'm picking up a '69 Camaro with a rebuilt 396/402. The car is coming with three TH350s. Would you go with one of the 350s or sell them all to pick up a TH400 or 700R4?

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    If they are good I'd sell two and use one until I tore it up,then I'd get a 400. If it's just your average 396 a 350 will work just fine in a street car. I believe there can be issues with the burnout procedure if you go to the track but ask someone that knows on that cause I don't run a 3 speed.

jmo

Junior Member SHOW GUEST
    Yeah, the block is pretty basic with oval-port heads and pop-up pistons. The guy selling me the car said it had a stock 396 camshaft in it too, so nothing too extreme. I don't plan on racing this car anyway.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    If your not going to do alot of highway miles i would keep it and the other 350's. They would be worth more in parts to you later than you would profit off them. Otherways, a 700r4 or 4l80e

350's OK

I thought you always needed at least a 400 TH. for any Big Block, but I put a (425 HP.) 454 in my 79 4x4 pickup with a (new re-built)350 Turbo,and hauled a 24 ft Camper with 2-4 wheelers in back ,I pulled some 6 % grades in Wyoming with it & never had a problem,.
    Just put a shift kit in it, and a good cooler on it to keep heat down,I also used one of the oversized ( 2 extra qt.)pans with the cooling holes in it( remember heat Kills!).
    www.rodsncustoms.com

Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    You should be fine with a TH350. Just make sure the trans is gone through, clearances are correct, and it has a good shift kit.
    Mark Goulette
    Owner/Driver of the Livin' the Dream dragster
    www.livinthedreamracing.com
    Speed kills, but it's better than going slow!!!!

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Im not much on turbo 400s.
    If you got a turbo 350 tore down I would add a 32 tooth sprag and a shift kit and thats good enough.
    I had an Olds big block with a cheetah manual valve body for years and it never failed, it lasted thru pulling the drivers side tire off the ground a few inches all the time!

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    [quote="Tod74"]If they are good I'd sell two and use one until I tore it up,then I'd get a 400. If it's just your average 396 a 350 will work just fine in a street car. I believe there can be issues with the burnout procedure if you go to the track but ask someone that knows on that cause I don't run a 3 speed.
    START OFF IN 2ND GEAR WHEN DOING A BURNOUT IF OU HAVE ENOUGH POWER,I READ SOMEWHERE SOMETHING COULD GO WRONG STARTING IN 1ST GEAR,THERE ARE SOME POST IN HERE ABOUT THIS,