OIL RESTRICTORS

Old 12-07-2010, 10:23 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Default OIL RESTRICTORS

CAN THEY BE USED IN A 400 CHEVY BLOCK?OIL PUMP AT IDOL IS 70PSI COLD,AND SHOULD I USE THEM,IF SO WHAT ARE SOME GOOD CHOICES.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I will never use oil restrictors again.

Yes they can be used in a chevy block. They screw in the back in place of the galley plugs at the rear of the cam tunnel.

I wouldn't use them unless you have trouble with the valve covers filling up with oil and even then I would try to get it to drain back better so I didn't need them. The valve springs need oil.

jmo I know circle track guys use them and I'm no engine builder I just bolt mine together from a jegs catalog.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:04 PM
lemspro
SHOW GUEST

I agree with Tod74, I would not use them unless you have a problem with oil blowing out the breather, we have started to give the top of the motors as much oil as we can before it starts to leak oil and the valve springs are lasting much longer. :shock:
Old 12-07-2010, 04:24 PM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

WHY do you want to use them???
I am one of those 'circle track guys' who, like many others, use to use them thinking this was a good thing. But now almost all circle track engine builders are getting away from them. The initial idea was that a roller cam motor didn't need as much oil upstairs, so keep it down on the crank.
Then the flat tappet guys followed suit but soon were finding top end failures a lot from overheated springs and valves due to the lack of cooling oil to them. Of course most dirt circle classes don't allow roller cams anyways, so the monkey see - monkey do tricks were killing our motors. Now the roller guys are questioning their use too.
70 lbs at cold idle is a LOT. You don't need or want anything more than that all the time or you will find other problems develop, such as washed out bearings, etc. My current monster engine has 70 at cold startup and 50 at hot shutdown after a 20 lap hot feature, running 20-50 Joe Gibbs Synthetic Racing Oil, and the engine builder says that is well withing normal specs with nothing to worry about.
I have about four sets of SBC restrictors and I will give you a set free if you promise to not tell anyone where you got them, and promise to not sue me when your engine fails due to lack of proper oil cooling upstairs. PM me your address and I will send them to you if you really want... as I will never use any of them ever again...
Old 12-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by DRTRCR22
WHY do you want to use them???
I am one of those 'circle track guys' who, like many others, use to use them thinking this was a good thing. But now almost all circle track engine builders are getting away from them. The initial idea was that a roller cam motor didn't need as much oil upstairs, so keep it down on the crank.
Then the flat tappet guys followed suit but soon were finding top end failures a lot from overheated springs and valves due to the lack of cooling oil to them. Of course most dirt circle classes don't allow roller cams anyways, so the monkey see - monkey do tricks were killing our motors. Now the roller guys are questioning their use too.
70 lbs at cold idle is a LOT. You don't need or want anything more than that all the time or you will find other problems develop, such as washed out bearings, etc. My current monster engine has 70 at cold startup and 50 at hot shutdown after a 20 lap hot feature, running 20-50 Joe Gibbs Synthetic Racing Oil, and the engine builder says that is well withing normal specs with nothing to worry about.
I have about four sets of SBC restrictors and I will give you a set free if you promise to not tell anyone where you got them, and promise to not sue me when your engine fails due to lack of proper oil cooling upstairs. PM me your address and I will send them to you if you really want... as I will never use any of them ever again...
good post
Old 12-08-2010, 01:50 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

thanks for the info,i do do have a roller motor and i was just wondering about them.i use a melling m55hv pump.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:23 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

A lot of roller lifters have the oil hole on the side of the lifter and not in the oil band which restricts oil all ready and with that being said becarefull how much you restrict oil to the top end.

We never use restrictors on the engines we build.