Quarter panel replacement with adhesives

Old 11-28-2010, 01:24 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Quarter panel replacement with adhesives

Has anybody used adhesives to replace a quarter panel? I am contemplating using this method, but I'd like some feedback before I try it. I want to use cleco clips and am curious as to how the holes from the cleccos can be filled. I am not sure if the adhesives would like the heat from a mig to close the holes up.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:44 AM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

If it is the rear quarters then you want to weld them on. After some time, the adhesive will dry out and "let go" of the quarter panel. If you are worried about warping the metal just take your time and only do about an inch at a time moving to different spots along the weld so that the metal dont get to hot and warp it. Also you can fill the holes from the clecos with bondo or weld them up. I hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:54 PM
performanceplusllc
SHOW GUEST

i would not on a race car but a street or stock no problem at all works great
Old 04-25-2011, 06:29 PM
coolracing
MASTER BUILDER

I have heard of people doing it with quarters and i have used it on cab corners on a pickup and it worked great but in the end i went back to welding patchs on due to the fact the adhesive was just to expensive. The adhesive i used was Fuzor.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:04 AM
TuffXR
APPRENTICE

Default Re: Quarter panel replacement with adhesives

Originally Posted by fla1976
Has anybody used adhesives to replace a quarter panel? I am contemplating using this method, but I'd like some feedback before I try it. I want to use cleco clips and am curious as to how the holes from the cleccos can be filled. I am not sure if the adhesives would like the heat from a mig to close the holes up.
When you consider that most of the big auto makers now have bonded panels it would seem that it is the easier way to go. I work in the panel industry here in Australia. I would rather bond than weld theses days. The glue will not get old or part if done properly, all you need to do is flange the panel on the car and clean both part and follow the instruction to the letter and you can't go wrong. In most cases the bonded panel is stronger than the welded panel.

As for welding the holes they it will be fine, just use a lower setting on nthe welder. I hope this helps in some way.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:05 PM
todd8525
JOURNEYMAN

Default glue instead of weld

i was told this several years ago and tryed it on quarter panels on an old camaro used for an enduro 250 race(high speed demolition durby)Glued panels on removed screws next day ding n filled screw holes bondo paint.The car was trashed when dun race and no cracks or splits in the panels.The bondo-that a different story.Since then ive used it numerous times.The key is the longer it takes to cure the tuffer it is Durabond states that the 8 hour cure time has 300lbs per square inch strength.Think corvette,lumina van,BMW,bugatti...
It's costly but compared to cut,fit,weld,grind then prep time.It's sometimes cheaper.And allot better job.I swear by it.