Winter is here...

Old 11-07-2010, 06:25 PM
MudWild680
CRAFTSMAN

Default Winter is here...

What is everyone doing to their cars for winter storage?
Old 11-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I never got mine out this year but normally fog the cylinders until it dies, then back off the valves and put it on jack stands to keep the slicks off the ground and to keep the weight of the car off of them when they go flat.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:55 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

This is posted on Good Viberations, pretty good advice, except they are permoting their products.

Zip.

Winter Rebuild

Some Must-Do's for Preparing Your Racecar for the Off-Season...

For those racers in the Northern Hemisphere, now is the time for putting the race car to bed and begin overhauling. If you're fortunate enough to live in warmer climates, the off-season is probably just a short break in the action.
Note: Those living south of the equator may want to ignore all this for the next 6 months.

Racecars are semi-perishable and if just left in the garage or trailer, they will need TLC to bring them back to life. An ounce of preventable maintenance goes a long way here. Here's some pointers to keep your racecar happy:

1) Drain Fuel System. This is especially important if methanol is your choice of fuel. Blow out all the lines, tank and components with air. A few squirts of Marvel Mystery Oil (mixed 50/50 with gas) into the barrel valve, fuel pump and 3-way shutoff valve on fuel injection engines will keep them from corroding. Also keeps the seals and o-rings from drying out. It doesn't hurt to have your mechanical fuel pump flowed every couple of years to ensure that it still flowing the number and is not cavitating (which creates air bubbles in your fuel system - not a good thing.)

2) Unpack That Parachute. The pilot chute spring has a tendency to weaken if compressed for long periods. It won't hurt to wash the parachute and sprinkle it with some baby powder to help absorb moisture. (This also makes it smell good when you take it out of the box next spring!) Be sure to check for holes or rips in the fabric. Damaged canopies can be repaired by the manufacturer or by a local upholstery shop.

3) Lube Those Cylinders. If you're not tearing down the engine this winter, you might want to pull the spark plugs and squirt some of that Marvel into each cylinder. (You did mix some Marvel with gas, didn't ya?). Also backing off the rocker arms will ensure your valve springs are still stiff next year.

4) How's the Bottoms End? May want to take a look at the rods & main bearings. Now's the time to find out if the crankshaft needs a polishing. Your pistons rings can easily be checked externally with a leakdown tester. A leakdown will also detect poor head gaskets or a crack in the cylinder.

5) Remove Thee Fire Bottles. If you' garage drops below freezing, Coldfire 302 (and other liquid systems) will freeze, expand, and crack the seal. Upon thawing out, the liquid will slowly leak out, the gauge will regress to 0 and you'll be contacting DJ Safety for further instructions. Prevent all that by storing the bottles inside where it's warm and toasty.

6) Service the Magneto. It's crucial the that the magneto is removed from the car if any welding is done. Doesn't hurt to set a schedule to replace the points, cap, rotor, capacitor and wires. This you can do on your own. Eventually the magnets will have to be recharged by a pro.

7) Check Safety Equipment Dates. The clock continues to run on those expensive SFI-approved items. It's ideal if the renewal period falls during the winter months when all of the equipment can be recertified at the same time. This is also the slow time for manufacturers so turn-around is usually more prompt. Here is a SFI Recertification Chart showing time frames for the more popular items.

8) Read Some Books! Now that the season is behind ya' and next year is still a dream, lets fill the brain with some fresh knowledge. The Good Vibrations Motorsports catalog is on top of our list though that's being a little bias. Good Vibrations also offer over a dozen of hard-core racing books ranging from Supercharging to Building Engines. Did we mentioned DVD's for those that need a better visual & audio fix??

Have a great off-season. If you need advice or have questions, Good Vibrations Motorsports has compiled a vast technical library online. They also offer a toll-free line: 800/576-7661
Old 11-08-2010, 07:06 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Something that was not discussed in that article was the cooling system.
I run race gas.
Personally, I add anti freeze till it's sufficient for our climate, add Stabil to the fuel, run the engine for 15 minutes to circulate the anit freeze and Stabil the fuel system. THEN I drain the fuel and cooling systems.
If for sure I'm doing a teardown, then it all gets emptied, drained and stored before freezing temps arrive.
If all you do is drain the cooling system and you have an aluminum radiator, then DO NOT forget to pull the radiator and drain out that last bit of water in the bottom ! Unless you have a drain plug/valve in the bottom you will end up with two split tanks in the lower sections !
Old 11-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I run antifreeze all the time. Yeah I know it sucks when it gets on the track, but it sucks worse if I forget to put it in in the fall.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:24 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Winter is here...

Originally Posted by MudWild680
What is everyone doing to their cars for winter storage?
Well winter for me is January. I plan to pull the trans and convertor out send to Alan Pope so he can take 2nd gear out of my glide and make it a single speed trans and freshen the convertor. Add a shot of NOS to it and put two new shocks on the front and put a new ring and pinion in the rear and add a wheelie bar so I'll be ready to start back racing mid to late February when it hits mid 60's again!! Love the South!
Old 11-08-2010, 05:50 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

didn't bring mine out not one time this year...a couple of reasons...but the main one was that it was just too Freaking Hot this year in S.C....Many Consistant days 105 degree's the humidity was horrible and was actually killing people. we continued with the Drought...Most tracks cancelled their bracket programs..even your local die hard racers (heads up) only ran 1/2 the schedule they normally ran.

so my Ride will get New valve springs March or April..( just some anal paranoid if you will preventive maintenance). Oil and Plug change...and thats it...

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-09-2010, 04:39 AM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

For Tostoracing this winter we're going to decide if we will run A/S again this year. If not I'll put the Small Block back in and run S/ST.
We will be running Tim's 99 Camaro in C/S next year. He is building his LS1 motor this winter.
Todd's Firebird is still sitting for next year with a cracked block.
I have a 70 GTO and a Corvette to work on this winter so we should be pretty busy.

Brian,
I know what you mean about the heat this year. I drove the Camaro in Kentucky when it was 98 + degree's. Dang near passed out in the staging lanes. It gets where it's not fun when it's that hot.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:30 AM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

What is this "winter" of which you speak...
Old 11-09-2010, 07:38 AM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by mytmouz
What is this "winter" of which you speak...
OK T Don't rub it in :lol: :lol: