Opinion on Swap

Old 11-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Incognegro
DYNO TECH

Default Opinion on Swap

Currently I have a stock LT1 Motor in my car, with a seat of headers and exhaust. I am contemplating swapping out the fuel injected motor for my built Chevy Small block 355 makes about 450, BUT its carburated..

Would you swap out ease and drivability of fuel injection for an old school carburated motor?
Old 11-05-2010, 10:34 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Opinion on Swap

Originally Posted by Julianthe3rd
Currently I have a stock LT1 Motor in my car, with a seat of headers and exhaust. I am contemplating swapping out the fuel injected motor for my built Chevy Small block 355 makes about 450, BUT its carburated..

Would you swap out ease and drivability of fuel injection for an old school carburated motor?
"ease and drivability of fuel injection for an old school carburated motor"
LOL. Carbs worked pretty good for about 100 years. I think one will still work just fine on the street for another year or so.

You ask what would I do.
I would swap it for a real motor. A big block with a big fat carb.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Incognegro
DYNO TECH

Originally Posted by TheRabbit

"ease and drivability of fuel injection for an old school carburated motor"
LOL. Carbs worked pretty good for about 100 years. I think one will still work just fine on the street for another year or so.

You ask what would I do.
I would swap it for a real motor. A big block with a big fat carb.
I would if I had the money for one...lol Im gonna use what I got for now.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:05 PM
TheEngineer
MASTER BUILDER

I don't think there is a "right" or a "wrong" here, it is all about what you would enjoy working on and driving. I have a LT Camaro Z28 with a build stroker engine and I'm running the factory EFI. It is a fun car tp drive and I enjoy all the high-tech stuff that goes with it. Have you checked-out the LTXtech.com web site?

I also have carbed tube-chassis drag car and I really enjoy working on it and racing it.

Warren
Old 11-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Incognegro
DYNO TECH

[quote="TheEngineer"]I don't think there is a "right" or a "wrong" here, it is all about what you would enjoy working on and driving. I have a LT Camaro Z28 with a build stroker engine and I'm running the factory EFI. It is a fun car tp drive and I enjoy all the high-tech stuff that goes with it. Have you checked-out the LTXtech.com web site?

I also have carbed tube-chassis drag car and I really enjoy working on it and racing it.

Warren[/quote

the only reason Im thinking about doing the swap is for simplicity..The carb motor is fairly simple to work on. The LT1 is a pain in the ass to work on and tune, and has too many electronics to chase down gremlins in my opinion. Plust the poor design of the Optispark and distributer being right Under the water pump scares me a bit.

I came out of a high tech Import previously. I had a Nissan 350Z that I built and tuned and it would run 10.0@138, but when stuff went wrong it was a bitch to trace the problems with all the computers..

Currently I have a built 355 small block(10.5 Compression) sitting in my garage that was built and made my 81 Camaro go 11.67@115. I sold the roller and am thinking of dropping that motor in my 65 Merc, and perhaps hitting it with a 125 shot. That motor has a nast street cam in it and sounds mean as hell!!

Plus i love the look of the Carbs and tunnel ram intakes!!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:18 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Sounds like you already know what you want to do. I would go with the carb because it's more straight forward and as stated, fewer gremlins.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Incognegro
DYNO TECH

Originally Posted by fla1976
Sounds like you already know what you want to do. I would go with the carb because it's more straight forward and as stated, fewer gremlins.
Hahaha, true..I did kinda make my mind up didnt I?

Here is the car Im talking about, would LOVE a Big Block!!But wife would cut my testicles off if I bought one.

http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtop...276&highlight=
Old 11-05-2010, 02:37 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

up in n.j. is there any emissision test issues to deal with ? that would be the only kill joy I can see.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Incognegro
DYNO TECH

Originally Posted by MEMRACING62

up in n.j. is there any emissision test issues to deal with ? that would be the only kill joy I can see.
Not on a Historic Vehicle or street rod.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:06 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by fla1976
Hahaha, true..I did kinda make my mind up didnt I?

Here is the car Im talking about, would LOVE a Big Block!!But wife would cut my testicles off if I bought one.

http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtop...276&highlight=

Sounds to me like your WIFE made up your mind! lol just kidding cause I'd probably be in a lot better shape if I'd let a women make up my mind for me more often.
I would go with a carb if it were me, simply because I don't know much about fuel injections and carbs are just simple to fix or replace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -