Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LOOKING FOR..................????

LOOKING FOR..................????

I AM LOOKING FOR A GOOD IDEA FOR MY 55 CHEVY STREET CAR. I AM RUNNING A B&M CLUTCH-FLITE AND WANT TO USE THE BENCH SEAT 4 SPEED HURST HANDLE TO GIVE THE VISUAL IMPRESSION THAT IT IS NOT AN AUTOMATIC CAR WHEN SOMEONE LOOKS INSIDE. DOES ANYONE HAVE A NEAT IDEA??
    THANKS

Member CRAFTSMAN
    Yeah, stop faking it and put a muncie 4 speed in.

faking it

Why would I put a muncie in if I have 3 super t-10's laying there. I asked for an answer to a shifter question, and I get some dumb ass running his mouth.

faking it

Why would I put a muncie in if I have 3 super t-10's laying there. I asked for an answer to a shifter question, and I get some dumb ass running his mouth.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    it could be nobody exactly understood the question. I thought about it but didn't answer because I can't....I can't answer because I don't know what a B&M CLUTCHFLITE IS or how it is shifted. Maybe a pic would help??

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER gearhead1011's Avatar
    If you have a shifter handle you want to use and any fabrication skills at all I would think that's all it would take. If you want to give the impression it's a stick car aren't you going to have to put a clutch pedal in it too? I know that's the 1st thing I would look at. I race a real stick car so I had to laugh at MudWild680's response. I think today's kids refer to that as posing.

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    Hummm, maybe this will help . I had a 54 ford with a bench seat with a 4 speed hurst shifter . Old car I could not reach the clutch as I wished (as well I am short) when in second or 4th with seat back . As well when I shift I like to be up on the wheel when car launches so I pushed seat all way forward . Then I took hurst shifter out and cut it right as it came into the car . Welded it after cut and bent so handle would go forward . Put it back to see if shifter cleared both gears and seat as well me up on the wheel . Worked , boot covered my adjustment . Now if that dinot not answer the question nor directed right , my other answer is just weld it to floor board lol

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    While a 4 speed is on subject , not being funny but I didnot know there was another tranny besides a clutch car . Autos are for bad legs and grocery store cars . At least a road car should be clutch ,no fun otherwise . I run a doug nash in mustang still works well even though old school . Car is consistant . Road car runs top loader with big input and output shaft that holds up very well . I launch 9500 with doug nash , it holds , yes I said 9500 with a fe motor . Try that with a muncie , better take a bucket with ya to pick up parts .

Junior Member APPRENTICE

Re: LOOKING FOR..................????

Quote Originally Posted by greaser49
    I AM LOOKING FOR A GOOD IDEA FOR MY 55 CHEVY STREET CAR. I AM RUNNING A B&M CLUTCH-FLITE AND WANT TO USE THE BENCH SEAT 4 SPEED HURST HANDLE TO GIVE THE VISUAL IMPRESSION THAT IT IS NOT AN AUTOMATIC CAR WHEN SOMEONE LOOKS INSIDE. DOES ANYONE HAVE A NEAT IDEA??
    THANKS
    Come off the lower front of the bench seat frame and weld or bolt a plate onto it so the shifter can be welded straight up onto this plate and just be off the floor by an 1/8th of an inch or so and then slide the boot over the shifter ! This way you dont have to cut the floor and the shifter will slide back and forth with the seat!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    You could put a locar shifter, cable type and mount it to the floor where ever you want to. They come tall like a floor stick in the old cars, we have a couple running around here, one comes to mind is a 51 restored show/driver Ford with a 383 and 350 trans. with a bench seat.

JMO

Zip.