biulding 388 sbc

Old 10-20-2010, 07:09 PM
rapedape
APPRENTICE

Default biulding 388 sbc

After 2 kids Im back to building my 388 sbc engine !!! Its a 010 block bored 60 over with an Eagles rotating assembly. I'm thinking about running a 64 cc head which should give me around a 10.9 to 1 compression ratio. I'm on a budget obviously with 2 kids. I was looking at the patriot performnce but no one has anything GOOD to say about them Im looking to spend no more than $1500 on heads. Plus I will need a cam with a intake and carb. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. It will be a street truck for the weekends. I want to get 400 - 500 hp if possible .
Old 10-20-2010, 07:20 PM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

I have the afr 210 cnc heads on my 385
they work damn good, If you want the most bang for your buck its a good way to go, maybee a 195 head for a street motor with your compression would work good

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AFR-1040/
Old 10-20-2010, 09:05 PM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Re: biulding 388 sbc

Originally Posted by rapedape
After 2 kids Im back to building my 388 sbc engine !!! Its a 010 block bored 60 over with an Eagles rotating assembly. I'm thinking about running a 64 cc head which should give me around a 10.9 to 1 compression ratio. I'm on a budget obviously with 2 kids. I was looking at the patriot performnce but no one has anything GOOD to say about them Im looking to spend no more than $1500 on heads. Plus I will need a cam with a intake and carb. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. It will be a street truck for the weekends. I want to get 400 - 500 hp if possible .
On a .060 over 350 block make sure its sonic tested for cylinder wall thickness as we sonic test every OEM block that comes through the door and we don't see many the make a good performance build at .060.

On cylinder heads take a look at these and we are a dealer for Dart if you choose them.
http://www.profilerperformance.com/sbc-heads-176.html

Good luck with your build
Old 10-21-2010, 06:39 AM
cncmotorsports
MASTER BUILDER

Best bang for the Buck is AFR,
If your going with a hydraulic flat tappet or mild hydraulic roller cam use the 195cc heads
The heads come CNC ported, by far the best head on the market for the money right now.

We have them on the shelf. We can also help you pick out a matching cam to make your 400-500 HP goal.

www.cnc-motorsports.com
Old 10-21-2010, 08:04 AM
rapedape
APPRENTICE

The profiler will save the money that can be used somewhere else ( cam intake etc) But I want something reliable. Im not build a race motor just a weekend warrior. lol I also would like help with cam and stall selection. I'm looking to get in the ball park of 450 - 500 hp. Thanks
Old 10-21-2010, 10:49 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

The profilers will be head and shoulders above the patriots that you asked about in your first post so I don't get the reliable part in comparison. Not trying to be a smart butt about it. Patriot I believe are an import, profiler- made in USA.

Curtis
Old 10-21-2010, 02:04 PM
rapedape
APPRENTICE

Default 388 BUILD

Reliable as in maintanece wise. I also saw where a guy locally is sell a set of brodix ik 200 for the same price as a set of pro filers. Would these be a better choice over the pro filers ?
Old 10-22-2010, 03:27 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

If you can get a good deal on the Brodix heads I would use them in a heartbeat. If they are used check the valve springs and valve job though. Either head would be fine given the right intake port size. Don't want to get carried away on the street.

Curtis
Old 10-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I'm looking to get in the ball park of 450 - 500 hp. Thanks
This isn't what you want to hear but if you don't already have the sbc parts and if that's all the power you are after a very mild big block with factory heads will get you that and be dependable and maintenance free...(relatively)

just throwing that out there.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:07 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
I'm looking to get in the ball park of 450 - 500 hp. Thanks
This isn't what you want to hear but if you don't already have the sbc parts and if that's all the power you are after a very mild big block with factory heads will get you that and be dependable and maintenance free...(relatively)

just throwing that out there.
Yeah, but then you have to tell everyone you have a big block. :lol: :lol:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -